Notices
Boating & Fishing General discussion forum regarding all forms of boating including motor boats, sailboats and all things fishing including fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fishing gear and great places to fish.

OBX Towns to stay in, recommendations

Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default OBX Towns to stay in, recommendations

My wife, toddler son, 3 dogs, and the in-laws are planning a trip to OBX this summer (June 22) and are trying to figure out where to stay.

I am the only one who fishes, and have a jeep and would love to drive out on the beach and go surf casting. I have done this before in Jersey, but don't really know about OBX places that allow you to do this.

My wife and everyone else will want to be somewhat near restaurants, possible shopping, or daytime activities.

We also have kayaks and love to paddle, mostly in the bay (my wife gets scared in the surf).

We were looking at nags head, but then it looks pretty far from Hatteras, which seems to be the place to fish. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We stay in mirlo beach evey year and love it.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Go to outerbanks dot org (we're not allowed to post links) and look up the section on driving on the beach.
certain areas now require permits...
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by crumpler
Go to outerbanks dot org (we're not allowed to post links) and look up the section on driving on the beach.
certain areas now require permits...
That's great advice, I'll look at that.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

We always stay in Nags Head close to Jockey Ridge State Park. We stayed in Hatteras the one year which is great if all you do is fish. it is about an hour drive to get to anywhere populated with all of the shops and all. there is a spot just south buy the bridge where you can drive on the beach and also there is a boat launch that will take you into the ocean. if you drive north up rte 12 to the end it takes you out onto the beach where you can drive all the north to Virginia. We do a lot of kayaking and fishing in the sound. if you like history at all the Wright museum and the Lost Colony are both nice attractions.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's a pic that may help. I like the areas closest to ocracoke island because its not commercialized yet. The further north you go the more you start getting the newer shopping areas. Rodanthe area would probably give you the closest to both old time fishing areas and still close to the shopping centers. To be honest though you can't go wrong anywhere in the outer banks. I love it there. Also I think corolla is the only free beach driving left everything else will cost $50 for a week or $150 for a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360289833.711835.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	419385  
Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks, I think Nags Head is the place we are going to book at. Anybody know a good surf fishing guide available sometime between June 22-28th?

So excited to have for the trip!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to go North to Corolla one day, you drive behind the dunes and look for the wild horses. Good family fun. watch the water crossing, some are REALLY deep!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks, I am totally looking forward to seeing the wild horses in Corolla.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:50 AM
JK Super Freak

We booked our house in South Nags Head. Nice to have vacation to look forward to. Looks like I better get my rods and reels cleaned up and ready.

Quick Reply: OBX Towns to stay in, recommendations