Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'14 JKU Drive Train Problems??

Old 09-19-2018, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '14 JKU Drive Train Problems??

Greetings all, I've been having some issues with the drivetrain. It's scheduled to go in for service next week to have it looked at, but wanted to get any insights I could from the group prior to that.

For the past few months, I've noticed when I'm accelerating out of a stop, or sometimes just going from a coasting to accelerating, I've been hearing a load knock/crack/snap type sound coming from the drivetrain. Can't pinpoint where it's been coming from. It doesn't happen all the time either. I checked and looks like the U-joints are fine, nothing seems to be loose or rattling anywhere. It's an automatic transmission.

Yesterday, I found myself stuck in the middle of a busy intersection when I was taking off from a stoplight. It's as if it just slipped into neutral. After fiddling with a few things, (turning Jeep on/off, attempting to shift to 4WD Hi and back to 2WD, etc.) It finally got moving again. To be fair, it hasn't made the knocking sound since. But not sure what the issue could be. Would love any insights or experience with this so I can be prepared. Hoping if it is something serious, it falls within the 5yr Drive train warranty.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:59 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Just noticed this thread and was curios if you found out what the problem was?

Old 09-28-2018, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: It was the rear differential. Gears were ground down. Thankfully, still within the 5yr powertrain warranty so it will all be covered.

Quick Reply: '14 JKU Drive Train Problems??