Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4 Wheel drive clicking & front driveshaft CV joint

Old 09-18-2018, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Wheel drive clicking & front driveshaft CV joint

I have a 07 Wrangler Rubicon with about 107,000 miles and a 4" lift. Unfortunately, I cannot attach a picture, but I have noticed what appears to be grease flung out of the CV joint by the transfer case on the front driveshaft. I'm pretty sure it's from the CV joint and not the pinion seal. Also when in 4 wheel drive I hear a clicking. Do you have any suggestions on what needs done and what parts I might need?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 09-18-2018, 07:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you want to repair that driveshaft, do a quick search on Teraflex High Angle Rzeppa. Another alternative is a new aftermarket driveshaft, there are quite a few mfg's and different styles of joints, so if you go this route be sure to get feedback on them.

Also, there is no problem with pulling that driveshaft off and driving without until you get around to a fix. (other than not having 4wheel drive)
Old 09-19-2018, 05:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Yup, your DS has bit the dust. The angle at which that is operating with your lift took it's toll, the boot ripped, slung the grease out, and now the CV is running pretty dry and crapping out.....that is the ticking you hear. Your options are 1) replace with a take-off factory DS you pick up cheap and wait for the same thing to happen, 2) remove your DS and replace that CV joint with the TF replacement as nthinuf mentioned, or 3) replace with aftermarket DS.

I'd indeed pull that off, cuz it's spinning even in 2WD, albeit under less stress. You're going to have to remove it regardless of which replacement option you choose, so may as well do it now and error on the side of caution.

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel drive clicking & front driveshaft CV joint