Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crumbling wire loom. WTF?

Old 09-09-2018, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crumbling wire loom. WTF?

While pulling my air filter today I found that the plastic wire loom on top of the engine is brittle and crumbling exposing the wires. Anybody else have this happen?
Old 09-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Yep, the loom will break down with heat and time. I just replace mine as it crumbles. The clips are more work than I'd like to do to source so I squeeze the new loom through the old clips.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Every one of them under the hood. I replace them with reflective heat resistant stuff. I probably have some more to do now, it's been a while.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I'd agree that crumbling loom is a normal thing over time with the heat exposure in the engine bay. Maybe just a little surprised to see that on a 2014 already. Looms on my 2013 with almost 80k miles seem ok still.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Interesting, of all the cars I've owned over the years I've never had this happen. Is there any reason to leave the giant piece of plastic on top of the engine, airflow routing, hood temp/warping, etc.? If not, this is a perfect excuse to cut in some hood vents and add another electric fan.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

mainly just there for looks and protect from some dust IMO.....but it gets dirty under it regardless. I added a PSC hood louver. It doesn't make a hill of beans in regards to cooler engine temps, but I'd guess it helps a little with general engine bay ventilation....some is better than none. I will say the engine cover is nice to deflect rain water that enters through the hood louver. I do recall seeing a couple posts of adding fans to the underside of similar louvers to really push the air out, but seems like a lot of effort for a marginal difference.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Every one of them under the hood. I replace them with reflective heat resistant stuff. I probably have some more to do now, it's been a while.
Where do you get the reflective wire loom?
Old 09-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Squirrel
Where do you get the reflective wire loom?
Sent you a PM
Old 11-11-2018, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

My '13 is suffering from crumbling wire loom. I find nylon split loom that's heat resistant to 300 Deg F but none better. Does anyone have a source for a better product? As I don't want to remove connectors I'm going to stick with a split loom instead of a braided sleeve.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 11-11-2018, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rkogden
My '13 is suffering from crumbling wire loom. I find nylon split loom that's heat resistant to 300 Deg F but none better. Does anyone have a source for a better product? As I don't want to remove connectors I'm going to stick with a split loom instead of a braided sleeve.

Thanks,
Rich
This stuff works easy and holds up to high heat. Way higher heat than your engine bay will see. It does tend to be pricey.
https://www.brownaircraft.com/category-s/92.htm

Quick Reply: Crumbling wire loom. WTF?