Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

etc and traction control lights come on

Old 12-14-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default etc and traction control lights come on

Tonight started jeep up and let it run for 10 minutes to warm up. When I went out it was skipping and sputtering. Etc light and traction control ight was on. Read book and cycled key. Went away. Drove about 30 miles and went into a store. Came backout bout 5 minutes. Later. Cranked up drove outofparking lot and while sitting at stoplight went into limp home mode again. Felt like brakes pulsing and engine surging. Drove brack around and back into parking lot. Kinda felt like driving with a locked in the rear. Cut off for 30 min and called dealership. Long story short drove hour back home did ok. Slowed down to about 20mph to turn and lights and limp home mode again.
I've read all the threads about pvc and dirty throttle blades im not buying it. Jeeps only got 1900 miles on it. Uses same gas on every fill up. No ethanol. Gotta be a computer problem or a wiring/component issue. Gonna take it to the dealership tomorrow but wondered what you guys might be thinking.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had to have jeep towed to dealership. Couldn't travel highway speeds in limp home mode. Winter storm warning fir tonite and im betting they give me a car as a loaner.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a bad speed sensor. Shouldnt be hard to fix.

Flash
Old 12-15-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ugh they gave me a teal scion xb its hideous. Tried to get a truck but they were out. No fun in the snow tomorrow. hope its a fast fix.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

I was looking for a thread like this. Mine comes on if I corner off highway in 3rd then shift to 4th and hammer gas. If I take it out of gear and coast a few seconds it goes off but it concerns me.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by notatoy
I was looking for a thread like this. Mine comes on if I corner off highway in 3rd then shift to 4th and hammer gas. If I take it out of gear and coast a few seconds it goes off but it concerns me.
The time that my ETC engaged (if that is the bolt light in the instrument panel), I found that the service folks had left the sensor on the tube before the throttle body out of its position. Jeep was idling very rough and lacked power. I put it in correctly, cleared the codes, cycled keys and alas, no more problems. That's what I get for taking the Jeep to the dealer for a service and being roped ito a Thottle Body Wash!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dealership called today. Said they had to order a pcv tube.should be ready tomorrow. I just don't understand the connection between the pcv and etc. But i'll inquire mire in Monday. Keep u updated.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that the lightening bolt symbol meant that the motor was running in open-loop mode due to a faulty sensor or component? A faulty PCV valve would certainly cause the PCM to depart from it's closed-loop programming and go into open-loop limp mode.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just went back and read the pcv theroy again. The writeup confirmed what I thought. Pcv valve stuck causing a vaccum leak would be accompanied with oil usage but I had nine. Def che led that before going to dealership. But benefit of doubt a vaxcum leak would cause erratic idle. What about the traction control system. While stopped at a light the brakes where pulsing like I was trying to do a brake stand. I wad betting on some kind of electrical glitch or unhooked wire. Im not trying to argue with anyone just trying to understand this thing. Im a tech and work on fuel injected engines with drive by wire all day long. If this problem was on some of our equipment id be checking the throttle body and surrounding sensors and controllers.
just trying to learn as much as I can cause on day its not gonna be under warranty anymore.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just had to share this luck with you guys.still don't have my jeep back yet so im still riding the scion rental piece. Went out of work today to leave. When I cranked the scion the check engine light traction control light and vsc light began to flash. Called dealer and they said just ride it till I get my baby back. But how's that for luck and coincidence.

Quick Reply: etc and traction control lights come on