Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Failed Cam position sensors - AGAIN!!!

Old 05-25-2018, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem

I have literally gone for the exact same thing that you have said you went through have you figured out a resolution or should I just blow the car up change the camshaft position sensor twice had the computer flash cleared whatever that even means had to spend upwards of $700 still no resolution
Old 05-26-2018, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rlast
this problem should not cause you to be "on the side of the road." If the cam position sensor fails or fails intermittently, you should be throwing a P0349 code. Both the engine light and the traction control lights may come on when this happens. The vehicle will go into a quasi-limp home mode in which you will not be able to operate the engine above about 2,500 rpms. So go easy on the accelerator and your automatic trans should shift below that without any bucking. Or, with the manual, just shift at about 2,200 rpm. You can run the vehicle up to 70 or 80 mph like this as long as you don't get the engine speed up to a point where the cam phasers would need to kick in.

I share your frustration, thought. I'm on my fourth trip to the dealer and I'm actually hand-feeding them them the DTC information and they still can't seem to get it straight.

When my cam position wiring wore through it went into limp in mode and would hardly go faster than idea speed, nowhere near 2500-rpm and the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

having same issue here, changed camshaft sensor twice (both) changed plug to 1 of the sensor. check engine traction light on 😡
Old 09-17-2018, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
I've got a 2010 3.8 v6.
Had codes P0344 and P0340.
I replaced cps ran fine for a week, replaced the pcm ran fine for nearly 6 months, replaced the egr ran fine for another 6 months.
Have tested Battery and alternator both fine.
I'm about to change my oil pressure switch and if that doesn't work I'll look at coolant temp sensor.
If neither of these work I'll do the harness, short of that fixing it I'm out of ideas.
have read many many forums for similar issues with both the 3.6 and 3.8 motors with no end fix.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default Was this fixed by anyone? Dealer is telling me it’s a battery connection.

Originally Posted by northlander
It is in right now getting a complete new wiring harness. IF they find an issue with it ( chafed wire, etc) then i will fell pretty good that the issue is possibly fixed. If not, my confidence level is very low.
was this fixed?
Old 04-17-2019, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Speedometer and gearing

Originally Posted by Scott Davis
Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
I've got a 2010 3.8 v6.
Had codes P0344 and P0340.
I replaced cps ran fine for a week, replaced the pcm ran fine for nearly 6 months, replaced the egr ran fine for another 6 months.
Have tested Battery and alternator both fine.
I'm about to change my oil pressure switch and if that doesn't work I'll look at coolant temp sensor.
If neither of these work I'll do the harness, short of that fixing it I'm out of ideas.
have read many many forums for similar issues with both the 3.6 and 3.8 motors with no end fix.
I had put bigger tires on my JKU and the Camshaft Position Sensor started going off all the time. Got a Superchips and reprogrammed the tire size and gear ratio and haven't had a problem since
Hope this helps someone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Russell Yerrington:
Clementine (05-07-2021), JennaJ (12-05-2021)
Old 04-18-2019, 01:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Traction control light related to the cam position sensor? I doubt it.

A traction control problem can roll back the throttle.

Did you get the codes that caused the lights to come on?
I can verify this. Has happened twice to me and I can run codes as they occur. Cam position sensor both times.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Its not the cam sensor, its the wiring at the cam sensor connector on the right head (usually). Unplug and tug on all 3 wires close to the sensor connector and i bet you find a broken wire in the insulation on one of those wires (wire looks good but wire breaks inside insulation), when you pull on wire the insulation will stretch and show a break in the wire.. When they change sensor they move the wiring and it works for awhile until the wires inside the insulation lose connection again then code sets and engine takes a crap.. Repair this wiring, add some length to connector wiring or reroute so its no tight on harness anymore. I bet you do this you'll have no further problem. Took me along time to find this problem but i have seen it on multiple 3.6 jeeps.

Last edited by AZJKU2017; 04-18-2019 at 11:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZJKU2017:
cejeka (10-18-2020), Nonblonde1983 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AZJKU2017
Its not the cam sensor, its the wiring at the cam sensor connector on the right head (usually). Unplug and tug on all 3 wires close to the sensor connector and i bet you find a broken wire in the insulation on one of those wires (wire looks good but wire breaks inside insulation), when you pull on wire the insulation will stretch and show a break in the wire.. When they change sensor they move the wiring and it works for awhile until the wires inside the insulation lose connection again then code sets and engine takes a crap.. Repair this wiring, add some length to connector wiring or reroute so its no tight on harness anymore. I bet you do this you'll have no further problem. Took me along time to find this problem but i have seen it on multiple 3.6 jeeps.
I've replaced both camshaft sensors on my JK now and my Crank Shaft senor twice, continue to throw the Crankshaft code. any ideas?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by nonblonde1983
i've replaced both camshaft sensors on my jk now and my crank shaft senor twice, continue to throw the crankshaft code. Any ideas?
if you have cam / crank alignment code you need to tear it down and inspect timing chain guides and tensioners for wear. If you are going that far i would just replace all guides, chain and tensioners. If you have sensor circuit codes you need to check connector and wiring for sensor.

Last edited by AZJKU2017; 04-23-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Failed Cam position sensors - AGAIN!!!