Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally found the adjustment for parking brake adjust...

Old 08-02-2017, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ive come to the conclusion

we really dont get a parking brake in a jk . I replaced every thing and still its either they will heat the rotor when it works, and all other adjustments fail . the handle is fine cables are fine its just a garbage system . id be thrilled if some one made a better system for our jeeps , otherwise put in gear and shut it off . when its parked
Old 09-21-2018, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally figured out how to adjust e brake handle

The wife and I figured out how to adjust e brake handle tension. We unhooked e brake cable, found the tension spring, which looks like a metal coil or even a metal strap, pulled the spring a little tighter and folded it back over to change the tension.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default Figured out how to adjust e brake handle tension

The wife and I figured out how to adjust e brake handle tension. We unhooked e brake cable, found the tension spring, which looks like a metal coil or even a metal strap, pulled the spring a little tighter and folded it back over to change the tension.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PLOTTHOUND
With the brake down I lifted/pulled from front to rear on the tab in the picture and then lifted the brake with the other hand allowing it to click as it went up. The tab immediately went back about a half inch and stayed so I repeated the same steps a few more time and it adjusted some more. Now it engages about half way up and is tight.
Thank you!! This is amazing! Maybe I can stop carrying around bricks in my Jeep!

(I jumped through a ton of hoops just so I could recover my account and comment)

Last edited by BrettB; 11-22-2020 at 07:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vagrant (08-09-2023)
Old 09-16-2021, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you ""PLOTTHOUND" for the initial post.

I also wanted to chime in that this procedure, lifting the metal tab under the brush slot, while the brake lever is in the down position, just worked for my 2014 Unlimited Sport after the adjustment at the star wheels and dealer replaced the parking shoes and springs, and new rotors - and it made little difference. I'm now able to secure the parking brake with a few clicks, rather than the very last click.

Also - any word on if this "fix" actually lasts?

TIA

Last edited by Spottyj; 09-17-2021 at 05:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Vagrant (08-09-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

They have issues because the quality of the handbrake itself is trash. I recently replaced my cables and hand break handle all the way back to the wheels. I had already replaced the wheel equipment, but had a corroded cable that I thought was my issue. Turns out that even with the brand new handle, the tension on the cable isn't strong enough and when I let the handle down, that tab shifts forward a half inch. So when I pull back up again there isn't enough tension on the cables to start actually pulling tight and I get full pull all the way to the top. Mind you this is after I adjusted my pads all the way to just barely touch the inside of the rotors. So I'm now in the process of making an adjuster to hold that tab tight or do the trick to wrap the spring around once more to keep the tension better. 😭

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The parking brake is not self adjusting like shoe brakes of the past.

The tension spring only removes slack from the cable when the handle is returned to the down position. It allows the handle to get a new grip on the cable drum with each application cycle.

I don't know why people have so much trouble with the parking brake adjustment.
I adjusted mine several years ago, (at the wheels), and it has been good since. I get full application in about 4 clicks.

The closest thing to self adjusting of the shoes is backing up and stopping with the hand brake. It doesn't adjust the star wheel like in the old days. However, it seems to equalize the two rear cables, which makes the parking brakes a little more effective.

Quick Reply: Finally found the adjustment for parking brake adjust...