Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Small oil leak / Oil pan questions.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Small oil leak / Oil pan questions.

New JKU owner. I purchased this 2012 from a friend yesterday. 50k miles. I was going to do an oil change today, as I do with all my new vehicles and I noticed some things I wanted to inquire about. While crawling underneath, I saw somethings I have some questions about. I noticed an area of oil on the drivers side near oil pain. It is causing a greasy area on drivers side upper control arm, and frame.

5 Questions:
1) I noticed that the stock oil drain plug is 13mm. Mine is 17mm. I assume this is due to it probably being replaced at some point?
2) I noticed the drain plug and area around it has a sort of yellow "paint" on it. Any idea what this is?
3) I see lower drain pain has two different types of screws. Is this normal? most the screws thread into the upper pan, there are 2 that have thread posts and nuts (see pics) is this normal?
4) Do my pics provide any clue as to where to looks for a leak, and repair it? I have read up on crank seals, where would I look to check those?
5) Do they made lower pan gaskets or just use RTV? I have seen upper pan gaskets but not lowers.

Top side looks immaculate, like you could eat off it. I see no leaks in the front near pulleys (I posted a pic of this also). It probably looks worse as pics were after I wiped everything down.

drivers side

front near pulley's

oil not above this like. I assume there is some spray/wicking

drivers side

passenger side. Yellow "paint?"

this screw normal, one more like it diagonally in other corner.

Last edited by Mbeef61; 09-14-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

According to the 2012 service manual, both the upper and lower oil pans use RTV sealant.
The two studs you see in the lower oil pan are there from the factory.

Regarding the oil leaks, first thing I would do is clean off all the residue with something like brake parts cleaner. Keep an eye on it to see if it is still leaking.
Check often enough so if it is leaking, you can see the source.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. I bought some degreaser. Tomorrow I will decrease and clean.

Any idea on the yellow paint stuff?
Old 09-14-2018, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbeef61
Any idea on the yellow paint stuff?
..No idea..

Quick Reply: Small oil leak / Oil pan questions.