Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whining after getting it muddy

Old 03-08-2014, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same problem after mudding my 2012 jku sahara. at first dealer thought it was the alternator. nope. it was what I told them....idler pulleys. there are 2 on your rig. bet that is your problem.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ouroborus2012
Shift gears in the mud by any chance?
. I did, but the whine really sounds like it's coming from my belt/pulleys. I need to get to work on tracking down the issue with limited tools and mechanical ability.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

OOOOH ok... Yeah, probably the idler pulley like the other dude said. That's an easy fix
Old 03-14-2014, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

UPDATE!!!

Thanks to you dudes, diagnosed it properly, the mechanics at Chrysler(biggest douchebags ever) diagnosed the same problem. Changed both pulleys, and the belt, and the whine is gone. The belt was a bear to get off, and get on, but with two people and good Georgia sunlight, it was no issue.

Had a secondary diagnosis of the alternator making the whine, but after replacing the pulleys, it's quiet as can be. Only fan noise it sounds like. The belt that was replaced looked just fine, no cracks, or wearing, and I'll be keeping it as a backup.

Everyone said the same thing, that a jeep shouldn't mess up after mud. Shoulda went with an older one, hahah. Thinking about tearing out the carpet and rhino lining the inside this weekend.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

This just happened to me, I could have sworn it was the alternator too! But they replaced the pulley free of charge and it's as quiet as can be
Old 03-15-2014, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

If your mudding for 30 minutes or 5 hours the proper clean up will take like...HOURS. Just pay attention to the particulars. You need to pay attention to the wheels and brake calipers...get all that shit out. It will eat your brakes. Also every so often you will want to pull the rear rotors OFF..and clean out the interior hub and parking brake shoes and mechanisms. Mud WILL get in there trust me. MUD UP!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MudCHUD
If your mudding for 30 minutes or 5 hours the proper clean up will take like...HOURS. Just pay attention to the particulars. You need to pay attention to the wheels and brake calipers...get all that shit out. It will eat your brakes. Also every so often you will want to pull the rear rotors OFF..and clean out the interior hub and parking brake shoes and mechanisms. Mud WILL get in there trust me. MUD UP!
Thanks for the heads up! Everything looked like it cleaned itself out while I was up under it but I'll give it a look after my boys baseball game.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Alright so I'm having a similar situation going on, I have a '12 jku and went trailing 2 weekend's ago, there's was plenty of rain and mud, had a great time with no issues until 3 days ago the Jeep started making the horrible noises y'all are talking about. I've replaced the 2 pulleys as well as the belt but it's still there, any other suggestions.
​​​​​​.

Quick Reply: Whining after getting it muddy