Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Noise

Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drivingfool
where are you getting power from? Run a temp wire straight from the + of the battery to the radio, see if that changes the problem.
I'm running power direct from the battery.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaskar
I too need to turn the Squelch all the way up to prevent a surge sound coming through, I have mine wired direct to + and - on the battery. Same thing ran a seperate ground from tailgate , when I remove the antenna noise is gone or if I touch the top of the antenna noise goes away
Try - directly to the frame... Don't forget to scrape away paint. Then report back.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's the - power wire.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dagley918
Does it go away when you shut off the engine? Yes

Does it go away when you Disconnect the antenna? Haven't unhooked just the antenna from the mount.

I don't have a pic but can take one. It's inside the license plate housing so I'll have to pull it. The Ultamount came preassembled so I assumed it was correct. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Where is your ground?

and we need you to Disconnect the antenna while you are hearing the noise to see if it goes away to see if it's the antenna ground or the radio power.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zaskar
I too need to turn the Squelch all the way up to prevent a surge sound coming through, I have mine wired direct to + and - on the battery. Same thing ran a seperate ground from tailgate , when I remove the antenna noise is gone or if I touch the top of the antenna noise goes away
Yours is almost certainly a grounding issue or another piece of your jk being "resonate" I had to install 38 Bonding points around the jk to rid me of mine.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpaulson

Where is your ground?

and we need you to Disconnect the antenna while you are hearing the noise to see if it goes away to see if it's the antenna ground or the radio power.
I had the ground directly to the battery and had the noise. I shortened the ground back up I side the cab and used the same bolt on the firewall that Project JK did on their write-up. (Just to the left of the foam that I ran the power through to the battery.)

When I get home I will pull the antenna and give an update. I'll also look to see what side the washer is on the mount.

Could all the engine noise be helped if I upgraded the wiring to a thicker gauge wire possibly? The stuff on the CB isn't that substantial.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Disconnected The antenna and the noise was gone. Here is a pic of the mount and where the washer is located.

Not sure what my next step is here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3661030861.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	274285  
Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dagley918
Disconnected The antenna and the noise was gone. Here is a pic of the mount and where the washer is located.

Not sure what my next step is here.
It's not in your cb or the wiring it's in your antenna system. You mentioned running an aux ground off that antenna mount is that true? If so where does that ground go?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's not in your cb or the wiring it's in your antenna system. You mentioned running an aux ground off that antenna mount is that true? If so where does that ground go?
Yes I bought a 40" ground strap from Autozone. I attached it between the washer and locknut inside the taillight housing. Then ran the strap down to a bolt on the rear bumper.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

With a mobile setup, your whole system kind of works together. If you are confident you got a good ground with the power wire, that's not the problem... as stated above.

Bigger supply wire shouldn't help you with noise. You need about 12g though, 14 would do I suppose. It's probably not that.

How is that bracket attached to your vehicle? If it's mounted to metal, you don't need a grounding strap. Either way you are making contact with your frame, make sure paint is chipped away so you are getting a good connection. Grounding straps can do funny things to antenna systems. How are you attaching the strap to the frame? I couldn't see it in the picture.

Please don't buy a filter. It sounds like a grounding problem. Fix the actual problem, don't just try to cover it up.

Quick Reply: CB Noise