Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Noise

Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sparkplug
With a mobile setup, your whole system kind of works together. If you are confident you got a good ground with the power wire, that's not the problem... as stated above.

Bigger supply wire shouldn't help you with noise. You need about 12g though, 14 would do I suppose. It's probably not that.

How is that bracket attached to your vehicle? If it's mounted to metal, you don't need a grounding strap. Either way you are making contact with your frame, make sure paint is chipped away so you are getting a good connection. Grounding straps can do funny things to antenna systems. How are you attaching the strap to the frame? I couldn't see it in the picture.

Please don't buy a filter. It sounds like a grounding problem. Fix the actual problem, don't just try to cover it up.
The mount itself is attached with a bolt through the front of the mount into the body with a large washer on the inside of the taillight housing. (Picture from website shows the bolt)

I have the ground strap sandwiched in between the nut and washer on the inside of the housing.

The ground strap then runs down to the rear frame rail bolts.

I noticed after running the strap the electric interference is less than before but still very noticeable. (Is it possible I need to sand down the frame better?)
Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dagley918

The mount itself is attached with a bolt through the front of the mount into the body with a large washer on the inside of the taillight housing. (Picture from website shows the bolt)

I have the ground strap sandwiched in between the nut and washer on the inside of the housing.

The ground strap then runs down to the rear frame rail bolts.

I noticed after running the strap the electric interference is less than before but still very noticeable. (Is it possible I need to sand down the frame better?)
Sorry here is the pic from the cool tech website.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1237544258.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	274774  
Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It definitely sounds like we are making some progress. Maybe we are onto something. Yeah, be absolutely sure you have good contact with your frame.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sparkplug
It definitely sounds like we are making some progress. Maybe we are onto something. Yeah, be absolutely sure you have good contact with your frame.
Thank you for your help. I'll do some extra sanding down and report back. Wish I could find some local Jeepers to hang and do this stuff with. Haven't run into anyone yet but I'm rolling pretty stock in a land of some pretty intense rigs. Time and mods will help I suppose haha
Old 02-07-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well looks like its back to the drawing board. Took the ground strap off, ground down the area to get some good metal, and reattached.
I then retuned my SWR for good measure. Still have that familiar high pitch hum.

Engine off=No noise
Key on power= Short burst from fuel pump
Engine turned over= Continuous noise

Still believe my antenna is the culprit but have run out of ideas.

Here is a picture of the strap and the bolt I attached to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2374056487.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	275484  
Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well looks like its back to the drawing board. Took the ground strap off, ground down the area to get some good metal, and reattached.
I then retuned my SWR for good measure. Still have that familiar high pitch hum.

Engine off=No noise

Here is a picture of the strap and the bolt I attached to.

I had similar issues with a 97 jeep with my stereo. A ground loop isolator really helped. You should see if you can find one you can use on the cb. I remember it was cheap and worked well. I started having issues when I installed performance plug wires and the isolator cleared it up. Just because the antenna is picking up the noise might not mean for sure the antenna is causing the problem. I'm no expert but for the cost of one it might be worth it to try.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ThreadHijacker
I had similar issues with a 97 jeep with my stereo. A ground loop isolator really helped. You should see if you can find one you can use on the cb. I remember it was cheap and worked well. I started having issues when I installed performance plug wires and the isolator cleared it up. Just because the antenna is picking up the noise might not mean for sure the antenna is causing the problem. I'm no expert but for the cost of one it might be worth it to try.
No.....the antenna isn't the problem....the antenna is picking up the problem.

I really can't say if it's ok to do this with these new computerized vehicles, but back in the day if we had a noise come through on the radio, we used to start pulling fuses until the noise stopped....
Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

It seems to me (with my extreme limited knowledge) that my antenna is picking it up from the fuel pump.
Is there a way to quiet the fuel pump at the source?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Jedi

It is possible....if that is indeed what it is. You can place ferrites, or "chokes" on the power line to the pump. This may fix it. You can call these people https://www.amidoncorp.com/ and tell them what you have going on. They sell rfi kits for HF. The fuel pump has always be a cause for rfi problems, but it may possibly be your alternator.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Engine off=No noise

Yep, we have removed a lot of variables. It looks like you know the direction you are headed next.

Quick Reply: CB Noise