Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Here is where you should mount your CB and HAM antennas on your Jeep

Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kudos to you for the excellent writeup.
One ?? I have is, if you were to mount the antenna
on the roof, wouldnt there be a greater chance of damage if it ripped off going into a garage or
on the trail?
And FWIW, Iv got my dual bander on the drivers side of the hood just in front of
the cowl and the cb antenna is on the license bracket with a miunt from
CoolTec.
Both seem to work excellent.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnie
...if you were to mount the antenna
on the roof, wouldnt there be a greater chance of damage if it ripped off going into a garage or
on the trail?...
It's really a moot point for us Jeepers. The top is either made of fiberglass or cloth on a JK. Neither are acceptable for mounting an antennas. For a metal-roofed vehicle it is the most ideal spot, but with our roofs we are forced into a more compromised position even if you didn't offroad.

The one exception might be if you have a metal cargo type rack that was bolted to the body.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my CB working for a bit, but after a trail run in Moab I realized I have some major problems. No one could hear me, but I could hear them. I busted out the SWR meter and it was past the red... again, after all that work to get it nominal. It's probably bad ground, that's what my problem was before. I grounded everything and still in the red. I am at my wits end with this stupid thing.

I'm going to pick up a cowl mount soon and give that a try.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great wright up. This will save me alot of pain when I install my CB!

I do have a roof rack so I will probably make a mount to put the antenna on the rack somewhere.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackribberman
I do have a roof rack so I will probably make a mount to put the antenna on the rack somewhere.
A roof rack could work. Some concerns may be that the roof rack component joints may be painted, preventing an electrical path to the body/chassis. This would apply to each joint in the path. Ultimately, this may not be worth your time for the small advantage in height above body.

Also, you'll absolutely want an antenna "quick disconnect" or QD to allow you to quickly remove the antenna as you hit the trail. Otherwise, it would be very vunerable to "removal by branch"

Last edited by arjeeper; 04-16-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
So theoretically speaking , if a person were to mount their antenna in the tail gate location but REMOVED the spare tire they should be able to enhance their signal?
Yes, it would be as if you mounted the antenna on the side of the jeep which is much better than being sandwitched.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arjeeper
A roof rack could work. Some concerns may be that the roof rack component joints may be painted, preventing an electrical path to the body/chassis. This would apply to each joint in the path. Ultimately, this may not be worth your time for the small advantage in height above body.

Also, you'll absolutely want an antenna "quick disconnect" or QD to allow you to quickly remove the antenna as you hit the trail. Otherwise, it would be very vunerable to "removal by branch"
CB more so than VHF or UHF needs a ground plane like the body of the Jeep or roof rack but that ground plane must also loop back to the radio.

So if you are using a roof rack make sure that the antenna mounting spot is touching bare metal and that the rack has a good ground to the body of the Jeep.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by azsandrider
I have my 4' Firestick CB antenna mounted off my left A-pillar, using an aluminum 'L' bracket bolted using existing bolts on the A-pillar.

How does this location work for a CB?

Is it similar to the rear corner mount illustration?
It’s more like a license plate mount except its higher in the air. It may be a little worse then the cowl because it’s right next the vertical metal of the A pillar. Basically any vertical metal right next to the antenna will act like a reflector and the antenna will not radiate correctly. Having a foot or more of clear space away form the antenna is best. Of course we are talking about a Jeep so it still boils down to convenience vs. function and sacrifices must be determined per Jeeper.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jfleur91
Thanks for the write up. Unfortunately for me I have my antenna on my tailgate as well. I haven't tested it on the trail yet but for trail use it should be fine. Any advise for us guys that DO have it on the rear??

Thanks
Having an antenna mounted between the spare and tailgate will create short range communications. Advice? Well, basically any vertical metal right next to the antenna will act like a reflector and the antenna will not radiate correctly. Having a foot or more of clear space away form the antenna is best. Of course we are talking about a Jeep so it still boils down to convenience vs. function and sacrifices must be determined per Jeeper. So if shorter range and safety of the location works for you great. Otherwise it will need to be moved.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default above spare tire

I have my mount above the spare tire, but the only way I could get the swr down was to run a couple of 19" wires for ground radials. , It may look hooky to some, but it works for me and that is all that matters to me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg
Views:	3630
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	305098

Quick Reply: Here is where you should mount your CB and HAM antennas on your Jeep