Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Remote Mount CB

Old 07-12-2018, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
x2 on the uniden 510/520's. I just velcro mine to the passenger side of the center console. Works great been using it that way for 5 years. I pull it out when not wheeling as nobody uses cb's anymore with cell phones etc.
Yup... this is why I decided to use a handheld. The only time I use a CB anymore is directly on the trails.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I dug out my old Uniden Pro 510 XL... it's been sitting in a box for a few years, and it's still covered in mud. Since the power wiring is missing, and it's intended as a temporary setup, I think I'm going to try to wire it up to a cigarette lighter power supply, for easy in/out. I may just end up using my 10' whip anyway, just because I already have it, and set it up for easy on/off too. Once I get around to doing all this (maybe this weekend, we'll see) I might start a new thread with pictures.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRubycon
I dug out my old Uniden Pro 510 XL... it's been sitting in a box for a few years, and it's still covered in mud. Since the power wiring is missing, and it's intended as a temporary setup, I think I'm going to try to wire it up to a cigarette lighter power supply, for easy in/out. I may just end up using my 10' whip anyway, just because I already have it, and set it up for easy on/off too. Once I get around to doing all this (maybe this weekend, we'll see) I might start a new thread with pictures.
I use the cigarette adaptor on mine. Never been a problem. takes me 30 seconds to install and remove. I use a firefly antenna and remove it when I am not off-roading or traveling with another jeeper.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Cobra 75 WX ST since I bought my Jeep four years ago. It's fine for trail use, but it's got its drawbacks. As has been noted, the speaker is lacking. Also, after just four years, my handset cable is cracking and falling apart faster than I can keep up with. (I've seen social media posts of other Cobra 75 owners experiencing the same phenomenon.) On the other hand, I fully recommend the Uniden 510 or 520. My first CB was a Pro 510 xl, which I used for more than 20 years. I finally sold it last year, more for cosmetic reasons than anything else, and its new owner is still using it without any problems. As I prepare to buy a replacement for my current Cobra, I'm debating between the compact Uniden 520 and the larger 980 ssb, which has all the bells and whistles.

Remember that a good antenna and properly grounded setup is the most important factor in having a radio that will work for you. Take your time addressing those issues and adjusting for proper SWR, and you'll be good to go. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Remote Mount CB