Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.

Electric smoker--anyone?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric smoker--anyone?

I'm curious about a masterbuilt electric smoker..

Anyone here try the electric world of smoking?

You can set a thermostat and let it rip..

I know the purest may frown on it, but...
Old 11-05-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to say most people up here use electricity to smoke their fish with. It's probably the most popular method. You wouldn't believe how many "Little Chief" smokers there are out there. The last smoked salmon I did up I used a Weber charcoal grill with a electric burner under it where I directed the smoke up inside the grill through the holes in the bottom. Probably one of the best electric smokers people use up here are old metal refrigerators. They are great because they are insulated and can maintain the heat really well. And also because they are insulated, you can smoke in colder, and even rainy conditions. I don't know of the "Masterbuilt" you speak of, but I know Brinkman smokers are very popular.

Edit.....I just googled the Masterbuilt smoker and it looks very nice. But if you plan on spending a fair amount of money on one, I would consider the automatic chip feed smokers as well. An engineer friend of mine is a fanatic when it comes to smoking. He is in the process of building an automatic smoker out of some stainless steel restaurant equipment he picked up.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 11-05-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Must be an engineering thing. Good friend of mine (who's a broadcast engineer) is a big smoker. He turned me on to a cook book by a guy named Myron mixon. Can't wait to do a pork butt or some ribs!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Junkie

I like my bradley smoker. Very easy to use.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have used a masterbilt smoker, they work very good. You can't beat them for the money.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Some people say that electric grillers do not give the real taste charcoal grilling would deliver, but there are alternatives that would let you achieve something almost the same. I love putting flavor on everything I grill and the key secret is preparing the flavors on a foil which you are going to place just above the heating grills. You can put in some cinnamon, wood ingredients and whatever taste you want it to follow.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedolce
I'm curious about a masterbuilt electric smoker..

Anyone here try the electric world of smoking?

You can set a thermostat and let it rip..

I know the purest may frown on it, but...
I've been using one for several years and they are great. I forgot once left it out in a 3 day rain and it quit but the replacement parts were very accessible and cheap to fix. My only real complaint is I've had 2 water trays Pitt thru from some type of what I think is some type of electrolysis both were replaced under warranty. Cheers
Old 03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Buddy of mine who was a die hard charcoal advocate just got a used masterbuilt on the cheap. He is now a die hard masterbuilt advocate. He does some catering on the side and has won quite a few small local BBQ comps. I take his word when he says it makes good BBQ. I am still using charcoal tho, I have no plans to switch.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

CookShack electric smokers. Made in Oklahoma. They make them in all sizes. Hardly use my Hasty Bake anymore.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

I have a propane Masterbuilt and if I were to do it all over again I would probably go electric. The temp control on the propane can be difficult. My brother has an electric with an auto chip feeder and it is awesome. I'm guessing it was a bit pricier than mine but he also cooks a lot more than I do (and is a lot better at it than I am). I'm not sure if it's Masterbuilt though. For some reason I don't think it is.

Quick Reply: Electric smoker--anyone?