Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.

Fav campsite meal

Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LRBolt
My Daughter-in-law gets credit for this one. It’s especially nice when you have a large group for breakfast because you can make them the night before and just cook them in the morning. We call them sandwich bag omelets.

Just whisk up as many eggs as you think you’re gonna need. Estimate about 2 eggs per omelet. (cooking time is for two eggs each) Use good Ziplock sandwich bags and put a regular ladle of the eggs in the bag. Add whatever each person wants on their omelet, cheese, ham, onion, peppers, anything. Squeeze out most of the air, seal it up and refrigerate.

In the morning get a pot of water boiling, we use a turkey fryer setup. Once the water is boiling good, drop in the sandwich bags (we’ve done as many as 10 at a time) and cook for 12 minutes. Give larger omelets more time, but its better just to make 2 for the big guys. Scoop out using a slotted spoon, tongs don’t work very well, cut open and dump on the plate.

LR
I was camping with a large group of people once and a family made this for breakfast and it was great and looked pretty easy to do. So a month or two later when I was going camping and in charge of breakfast I thought of this, googled it cause I couldn't remember exactly how to do it and there were a bunch of links saying not to do it because zip lock bags aren't made for boiling hot water and could be toxic. The heat of the water and something the bags are made from can cause toxins to melt into the food or something. Anyone else hear of this. Just google "making omelets in ziplock bags" or something and you'll see what I mean. Anyway I decided to go a different route but would love to do this sometime. Maybe if Ziplock can make a bag specifically designed to be put in boiling water.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
It needs to be done in a freezer bag...they don't melt.
Nice, I'll have to check into that. Thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last trip these were both huge hits:

Dutch Oven Corned Beef
Started about 10:00 AM...
put thawed corned beef in the dutch oven, fat side down. Add spice pack that comes with most of them.
Quarter a cabbage, a yellow onion, and halve a small bag of baby red potatoes. Chop a bunch of carrots into 2-3" pieces. Stuff them all in the pan.
Add a bottle of good beer and fill with water.

Cook all day with 6-8 coals under and 12-16 coals on the lid. My coals lasted about 2.5 hours each run. I use a chimney starter to get a new batch going.

You may want to add some more beer/water about 1/2 way through.

Served it up at 7:30 PM and I could cut the meat with a spoon.
Beer Brats
Having lived in Wisconsin, I continually teach people the RIGHT way to make this!

Use whatever brats you can find...butcher made ones are best, but Johnsonville will do.
In s skillet, slice up on white onion and get it sauteing in butter, or render a few slice of bacon and saute the onions in the bacon fat.
In a large pan (or dutch oven), begin heating up 4-6 cans of strong beer (PBR, Old Milwuakee, Milwaukee's Best, Miller High Life....do NOT use light beer)
Once your onions are soft and clear, add a can or jar of saurkraut to the pan and stir to heat up.
Grill your bratwurst over fire or coal, as you would normally.
Be sure your beer is at a good simmer, but not boiling.
When brats are through grilling, drop them in the beer and let simmer for 7-10 minutes.
Take the brats straight from the beer to the bun, and top with a little saurkraut and mustard.
Serve with poppyseed buns if you can find them and brown deli mustard.
Boiling brats in beer 1st replaces all the water in the sausage with the remnant alchohol in the beer. Grilling them after quickly evaporates all the alcohol leaving you with dry overcooked brats.
The following users liked this post:
Dat (07-30-2020)
Old 10-15-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VEGASSMAN

Dutch Oven Corned Beef
put thawed corned beef in the dutch oven, fat side down. Add spice pack that comes with most of them.
Quarter a cabbage, a yellow onion, and halve a small bag of baby red potatoes. Chop a bunch of carrots into 2-3" pieces. Stuff them all in the pan.

Cook all day with 6-8 coals under and 12-16 coals on the lid. My coals lasted about 2.5 hours each run. I use a chimney starter to get a new batch going.

Beer Brats
Having lived in Wisconsin, I continually teach people the RIGHT way to make this!

Use whatever brats you can find...butcher made ones are best, but Johnsonville will do.
In s skillet, slice up on white onion and get it sauteing in butter, or render a few slice of bacon and saute the onions in the bacon fat.
In a large pan (or dutch oven), begin heating up 4-6 cans of strong beer (PBR, Old Milwuakee, Milwaukee's Best, Miller High Life....do NOT use light beer)
Once your onions are soft and clear, add a can or jar of saurkraut to the pan and stir to heat up.
When brats are through grilling, drop them in the beer and let simmer for 7-10 minutes.
Take the brats straight from the beer to the bun, and top with a little saurkraut and mustard.
Boiling brats in beer 1st replaces all the water in the sausage with the remnant alchohol in the beer. Grilling them after quickly evaporates all the alcohol leaving you with dry overcooked brats.

Sounds awesome! I got to try both of these soon.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VEGASSMAN

Dutch Oven Corned Beef

Beer Brats

My youngest Grandson discovered brats at the State Fair this last Monday. Little guy ate 3 of those things. Looks like I'll be trying your recipe sometime real soon.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LRBolt
My youngest Grandson discovered brats at the State Fair this last Monday. Little guy ate 3 of those things. Looks like I'll be trying your recipe sometime real soon.
If there ever was a god of beer...this was his food!
Old 12-23-2009, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

This works out good for breakfast. I love Bacon, Potato and Onions for breakfast. The problems is by the time you get the bacon done and then the potatoes and onions the bacon is cold or the girls have eaten it all and then I'm stuck with just potatoes and onions.

This summer I cooked the bacon (1 Pound) set it aside the same with the Potatoes (5-6 redskins) and onions (4 Med size). Then I scrambled up 8-10 eggs and combined everything in a 12inch cast iron skillet sprinkled some chedar on top and covered with a Dutch oven top. Cooked ona low fire for 10-15 min and it turned out like a Camping Keish

Best of all I actually got to eat some bacon
Old 02-17-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

We do lots of campfire meals. Don't discount doing your favorite frozen snack over the fire on a stick. Pizza rolls are wonderful. We get all different kinds, even done some eggroll type things, burrito's, whatever is in the freezer section that you usually bake or microwave, put it on a stick and roast over the fire.

For a s'more twist, use coconut covered marshmellows....yummy!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

my wife is a girl scout leader and she came out with this one. Take a can of biscuts and some cinnamon and sugar roll the biscuts in the cinnamon and sugar then take the biscut and wrap it around your cooking stick till its warm. Its pretty good we always take two cans or more. You wont be sorry if you try this one
Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nuthin' Like a Camp Oven

Like with the Easy Peach cobbler/cake recipe, there is nothing like cookin' with a dutch/Camp Oven.

A buddy of mine did this recipe with us on the Russian river (nocal) labor day, I havn't been able to get enough of this since. Matter of fact made it for the my guys in the warehouse at work last week. Instructions are for regular oven, but easy to slow cook in a DO/CO.

Pat

Cochinita Pibil
Ingredients

* 4-6 lbs pork butt, with bone
* 4 tablespoons achiote paste
* 2 cups sevilla orange juice (must be sour/seville orange juice, not regular OJ)
* 2 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 2 teaspoons chili powder
* 2 teaspoons ground coriander
* salt and pepper

Directions

1. Poke holes all over the pork with a fork. Rub achiote paste all over the pork, and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the orange juice and habanero peppers.
3. Mix in the cumin, paprika, chili powder, coriander, salt and pepper.
4. Place pork in the mixture, cover, and refrigerate overnight, turning two or three times.
5. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
6. Wrap the pork and marinade in aluminum foil or banana leaves that have been soaked in water for 30 minutes.
7. Place into a casserole dish, and cover.
8. Bake for at least 2 hours, until the meat falls off the bone. The slower you cook it, the better it is. Cooking time varies greatly, from 2 hours to 4 hours depending on oven, seal of banana leaves, meat etc. (some also put this in a slow cooker to cook all day)
9. Shred the pork, pour remaining cooked juice from pan over pork, and serve with white rice and corn tortillas.
10. Each person can make tacos or fajitas with the pork, the rice and the sauce.
Note: If you can't find Sevilla OJ, use 1/3 cup normal OJ, and 2/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice.

Quick Reply: Fav campsite meal