Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.

Fav campsite meal

Old 06-11-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BBQ chicken on the charcoal is always a family favorite.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Silver Turtles:

Nothing super special, but so good! Plus, you can make these before you leave and just keep them in the cooler.

- Cut up onions in to large rings
- Cut Potatoes into thin round pieces
- Cut Green Peppers into large round rings
- Make a normal size hamburger patty (about 1/2 pound)

1. Season the patty to taste (Dales, Season Salt, Pepper, Garlic, etc)
2. Stack the patty, some onions, potatoes, and peppers and cover each stack individually with aluminum foil

To cook: After the fire has been burning a while, scrape some coals aside and place each individually wrapped "Silver Turtle" in the coals and cover with the ones set aside. No need to turn and the foil holds all the juices inside. Remove from fire and each person has an individually packaged dinner.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Kinda like above, but we would take loose ground venison, some onions, some peppers including jalapenos, some mushrooms, seasonings and some use lil brown mustard. Mix how you like and wrap each persons lil loaf in aluminum foil and then set in fire to bake. You get a kinda meatloaf burger thing that is just incredible.\

Also slice some fresh jalapenos in half, clean out seeds, put some cream cheese in and wrap in bacon. Great grilled or cooked in aluminum in some coals. Also nice because you can make ahead of time.

For the ones that dont like spicy...try some water chestnuts wrapped in a bit of bacon and peirced with a toothpick, then while cooking put a dab of sweet baby rays bbq sauce on each one. The chestnuts stay kinda crisp and the sallty bacon and bbq are tough to beat.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
Roasted Corn on the cob!
Soaked for a while in some water and cooked in the husk. Man that just made me hungry.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GaMtnJk
Silver Turtles:

Nothing super special, but so good! Plus, you can make these before you leave and just keep them in the cooler.

- Cut up onions in to large rings
- Cut Potatoes into thin round pieces
- Cut Green Peppers into large round rings
- Make a normal size hamburger patty (about 1/2 pound)

1. Season the patty to taste (Dales, Season Salt, Pepper, Garlic, etc)
2. Stack the patty, some onions, potatoes, and peppers and cover each stack individually with aluminum foil

To cook: After the fire has been burning a while, scrape some coals aside and place each individually wrapped "Silver Turtle" in the coals and cover with the ones set aside. No need to turn and the foil holds all the juices inside. Remove from fire and each person has an individually packaged dinner.
Add cabbage to the silver turtle. Put the cabbage on the bottom and top of the stack. If your fire is too hot, or you cook too long, the cabbage get burned and not the rest of the food. Plus the cabbage adds lots of moisture to the rest of the food. If you like cabbage, burning it doesn't hurt the taste. If you don't like cabbage, you have still insured that the rest of your food is safe from being over cooked.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Mountain Pies!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

I take a bone in pork butt and rub it down with goodies.

Smoke at 275 degrees over hickory wood for 8-10 hours.
Drink and fish till its ready and make sandwiches after chopping the meat, and covering it with this:

Left overs are awesome with scrambled eggs, chopped onions, and bell peppers.

Easy to do.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

The last time I went camping it was a guy trip. I remember something we ate was good. We had a few jack and cokes and then dinner was something with a brat or a turkey dog or something. A few more Jack and cokes, then trying to share songs we like over our iPhones and sleeping until 9am.
I don't remember what it was or how (or if) it was cooked. But I'm sure I would do it again.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry, I have to add another.

One camping trip, we ran out of water and managed to survive on beer for 3 days.

So when it was my night to make dinner, i decided to make hamburger helper with beer.

I don't know if it was the buzz, but that had to be the best box food I ever had!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been my favorite since I was a kid, I've made it with fresh killed squirrel, and chicken out of the package.

Make some aluminum foil bags, put in diced tomatoes, diced onions, chopped potatoes, corn if cut small enough, and any other random vegetables on top of a chicken breast and thigh (or about half a squirrel). Close aluminum foil bag. Put over hot coals from a fire for about 45 min, or hot charcoal for about an hour and 15 minutes. Open and enjoy! The juices from everything cooks the vegetables to done as long as you don't go crazy, and tastes amazing, can season to taste. Normally I just throw in a little season salt and pepper.

I cook a lot with coals from my bonfire. I rarely bring charcoal or anything other than the grill portion of the grill. Dig a hole, put the coals in, set grill on top, and cook! The coals are normally hotter and don't last quite as long, but you get used to it rather quickly!

Anyway, I have lots of campsite recipes, hit me up for any!

Quick Reply: Fav campsite meal