Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.

Kamado Style Grills

Old 12-18-2009, 01:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kamado Style Grills

Does anybody have any experience (good or bad) with a kamado style grill such as the Big Green Egg or the Primo?I have been looking at purchasing one and needing some input. Have a great day and Happy Grilling.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

funny, i never go in this thread and i just posted something about the big green egg in a lump charcoal discussion.

About a year ago i was going to make a bbq and went to a high end place to look at some parts. Short of it, the sales guy showed me the "big green egg".... never heard of it before. I ended up buying the large egg.

Results are phenomenal!

I had a weber cheapo grill before and was using hardwood charcoal sometimes and regular briquettes sometimes. Cooking anything on the big green egg with hardwood charcoal is the fng best. Things come out REALLY juicy, almost ridiculously juicy. Hard to even believe. Even if its cooked too long, its not dried up and ruined. The meat is just not pink & its still juicy. Flavor is great.

You can do alot with it. BBQ at really high heat (600-700) There is some technique to it, (sear both sides at that high heat, then shut down the vents to finish it off. You can smoke with it. Havent really tried too many crazy things with it but i guarantee that if you get one, you wont regret it.

(i have no affiliation with the company or any company that sells them)

Old 12-18-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have first hand knowledge but my cousin has the egg and loves it he has done some very good food in it.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Hey thanks guy for your input. I guess the decision is almost made. As far as the Big Green Egg is concerned, is it very difficult to regulate your temp. I did not know if there was much fluxuation.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can dial in the temp pretty much exactly where i want it. There is a sliding vent on the bottom and a multi-piece rotary vent on top.

The more you use it, you'll get to know pretty much how the vents should be set to get the desired temp, then just do fine adjustments every few minutes until it stabilizes. pretty easy.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Temperature regulation is easy. I've got the BGE, have a couple of friends with the Primo. No complaints about either. I went with the BGE because the local support was better. You may want to check the BGE forum. Lots of good ideas and recipes.

http://h$$p://www.eggheadforum.com/i...howcat&catid=1

One thing that I've read about being a regular occurance is melting your gasket if you do a high heat cook on one of your first few. Do low/medium heat cooks to start out and season the gasket. I really got lucky, my first cook was steaks at about 850 to sear. I could smell the gaskets a little then and there was a bit of melting. If I would have gone longer, would have toasted mine.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

neighbor has an egg, He wasn't happy because the gas orifus gets gets spiders in it. Told him to use it more but that's about the only fix.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

I have a large Grill Dome kamados cooker.

I love it! Been cooking outside all winter longer. Turkey for Christmas, smoked salmon, lamb, lots of chicken etc.

Check this site out for some reviews of the various kamado style grills out there.

h t t p://www.bbqguys.com/
Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 PM
JK Newbie

I couldn't agree more about how great the Big Green Egg is. I've had a large for four years and just got another for Christmas. I'm on a Memphis in May BBQ Team (first place ribs two years ago at the World Championship among other grand championships) and we have larger smokers for competition but we ALL have the BGE's for home. Ditto on the sear method mentioned earlier. And for the post about the gas orifice being clogged up by spiders...you are mistakenly talking about a different smoker because the BGE uses lump charcoal, not gas my friend.

Check out nakedwhiz.com and charcoal cooking section for great stuff on ceramic cookers and check the pics of table builds.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by runnin2fire
Does anybody have any experience (good or bad) with a kamado style grill such as the Big Green Egg or the Primo?I have been looking at purchasing one and needing some input. Have a great day and Happy Grilling.
I'm not sure how far you are from OK City but in a month they will be having an eggfest. www.okeggfest. com

I have had a large BGE for about 5 yrs and it's the best grill I have ever owned. Very simple to use, faster to get up to real sear heats than a gas grill (Oh that's right, gas grills don't go to 1k degrees) and is very economical. All this and I haven't even spoke about taste. BGE forums are very infomational and I don't work for the company.

Last edited by dburgette; 03-03-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: no clicky

Quick Reply: Kamado Style Grills