Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.

Natural Lump Charcoal

Old 12-18-2009, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Natural Lump Charcoal

Are there any cons to grilling with natural lump charcoal? I really can't think of any but I could be totally wrong.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

It is the only way to grill imo. Burns longer with less ash as well.

Don't use lighter fluid to get it going either, use fire starters. They come in all types and sizes and you can find smaller ones that are more than enough to get it started.

One of the best brands is Ozark Hardwoods. I have found it at Crest stores around OKC however the local store was out when I was in a few days ago.

Royal Oak is good stuff too.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hardwood charcoal is all I use. The Ozark stuff is real good. We get at Ingles here. I actually can go back after it's gone out and shake the small stuff out, keep the big stuff and use it again. It's very efficient.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

x3 on the hardwood charcoal. It burns much, much cleaner, no aftertaste or toxic vapors like pressed briquettes. i wont even touch the other stuff anymore, hardwood is that much better. It does burn alot hotter so if you have a light duty grill like a weber, its going to shorten the life of the grate.

Somebody turned me on to the "big green egg" grill a year ago. Highly recommend it, its well worth the money.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Doesn't the hardwood charcoal burn too hot? I've never used it because I'm always using my smoker and was affraid it would get too hot.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Natural lump coals do burn much hotter.

Standard briquettes use sawdust and starches to form them. You will definitely notice a better smoke and flavor from natural hardwood coals. You can find pure hardwood in briquette forms, but it costs more.

Definitely want to use hot/cold piling methods when using real coal. I like to pile my coals onto 1/2 of the coal grate in my Weber. I then can use tongs to simply rotate the grilling grate around to ensure nothing gets too hot or starts a fire.

Get your good sear marks and a little char over the hottest part...then move things over the cooler part, cover, and let it cook to desired temperature.

Oh...and drink plenty of beer!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by VEGASSMAN
...Oh...and drink plenty of beer!
Thanks! And YES I WILL!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ozark Oak is my favorite.

This website has the best lump charcoal information I've found: h&&p://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
Old 08-05-2014, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use natural charcoal on the Big Green Egg. The briquettes are pressed together with a binder that may contain petroleum. Another good site with info on this is on the amazingRibs site
How Charcoal is Made and How Charcoal Works
Old 08-05-2014, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

I have cooked anywhere from 250-600 chicken halves a month from march through November for the last seven years. Hardwood lump charcoal is all I ever used. The only downfall is you'll never go back to anything else!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-300924189.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	569719

Quick Reply: Natural Lump Charcoal