Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Control Arms Jam Nuts

Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
Here is a little Video on how to properly tighten a Jam Nut

https://youtu.be/gvkSpsvVkPA
I watched that RK video previously. Getting 200ft.lbs of torque on that jam nut using one hand on the wrench while holding a bar through the joint with the other for counter torque didn't seem like a good method to me unless you had forearms like Popeye. Not to mention it seemes like you would be applying unnecessary stress on that flex joint.

I can tell watching that video and using my finely calibrated elbow grease torque gage eye, that didn't look anywhere close to 200ft.lbs of torque.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I watched that RK video previously. Getting 200ft.lbs of torque on that jam nut using one hand on the wrench while holding a bar through the joint with the other for counter torque didn't seem like a good method to me unless you had forearms like Popeye. Not to mention it seemes like you would be applying unnecessary stress on that flex joint.

I can tell watching that video and using my finely calibrated elbow grease torque gage eye, that didn't look anywhere close to 200ft.lbs of torque.
Correct it was just a how to video, but yes this is how we do it in our shop and we have no problems!
Old 08-09-2017, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I watched that RK video previously. Getting 200ft.lbs of torque on that jam nut using one hand on the wrench while holding a bar through the joint with the other for counter torque didn't seem like a good method to me unless you had forearms like Popeye. Not to mention it seemes like you would be applying unnecessary stress on that flex joint. I can tell watching that video and using my finely calibrated elbow grease torque gage eye, that didn't look anywhere close to 200ft.lbs of torque.
Thats why i made the spacers pictured. Its a tiny area your grabbing onto. Slipped the vice a couple tines marring the joint edge.

Quick Reply: Adjustable Control Arms Jam Nuts