Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do-it-yourself ??

Old 12-31-2006, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do-it-yourself ??

OK, This a totally newbie question. My Sahara is on a train in Kansas, between the build and me, and I've been reading the forums on this site and others.

I like the idea and looks of the lift, but am not sure that its something I want to take on myself as I don't have a complete set of tools, lifts or a good background in auto shop. I'm not afraid to taka a sawzall to the house, but Auto Mechanics is another thing.

So.. Did all of you with lifted Jeeps do the work .. yourselves? Did you take it to offroad specialty shops or general garages? and.. what would a 'average' cost be? I've seen some kits on links here, so thats not a total surprise. I'm just wondering about getting the install.

Thx.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey bperrypa, welcome to JK-Forum, it's good to have you here

Regarding your question, unless you plan on installing a long arm kit, I would highly recommend you doing the install yourself. For the cost of having a shop to a simple short arm lift, you can easily buy all the tools you need and you'll learn a lot about your Jeep in the process. The write-up below should be all that you need to install a basic 2-3" lift:

Jeep JK Wrangler 3" Lift Installation Write-Up

And, if you're still to afraid to take on a project like this yourself, I'm sure you can find a great local Jeep club that would be willing to help you out. Heck, if you live in the SoCal area or are willing to drive out here, I'll help you install it for free.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to take on the project myself. I have never done anything like this, but I kinda know my way around the garage and I have a nice set of tools. Make sure you have the tools, though. You don't want to be making 20 trips back and forth to the hardware store.

the only thing I am concerned about is decompressing the shocks/springs. I have heard one can get hurt if you don't know what your doing
Old 12-31-2006, 08:18 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by TexasChopper
the only thing I am concerned about is decompressing the shocks/springs. I have heard one can get hurt if you don't know what your doing
Once your axle is completely dropped, the factory coils will just about fall out. And, depending on how tall you go the new coils should go in pretty easy or the assistance of spring compressors will help out a lot on taller coils. The compressors can be borrowed for free at shops like Autozone and are easy to use. Here's a shot of what they look like in use...

Just take your time, crank them down evenly, make sure the safety pins are engaged and wear safety glasses
Old 12-31-2006, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

I agree with giving it a try. I paid for the install of a 3" lift for my XJ when I was 16 thinking it would be way out of my capabilities. Then I installed a 2" coil spring spacer lift a month or so after using the coil spring compressors (which I borrowed from Auto Zone- I think it was like a $25 deposit, but you get it all back). It was like changing your brake pads for the first time, kind of nervous but once you get one done the rest are a breeze and you'll never pay to have it done again!
Old 12-31-2006, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that pic. I really did not know how the spring compressors worked, but that looks pretty straight forward. (i love these forums!!)

I assume all this is going to need to be torqued when being put back together, and the the specs will come in the kit?

Seth
Old 12-31-2006, 10:42 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by TexasChopper
I assume all this is going to need to be torqued when being put back together, and the the specs will come in the kit?
LOL!! Don't count on it. Typically, the torque specs you'll need are available in an FSM (factory service manual) but you can always count on finding them in my write-ups too
Old 12-31-2006, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Many Thanks for all the encouragement. Finding a person (group) thats done it already seems like the best plan. I'm sure there will be a local group to join.

I asked this in another forum as well, but.. If the lift is done on a new vehicle, what is the effect on the warranty? I'm not talking a major mod, but a straightforward body lift.

Thx!
Old 12-31-2006, 12:32 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bperrypa
I asked this in another forum as well, but.. If the lift is done on a new vehicle, what is the effect on the warranty? I'm not talking a major mod, but a straightforward body lift.

Thx!
Actually, I think you meant to say "suspension lift" as opposed to a "body lift". But, having said that, your lift should not effect your warranty unless your dealer can prove whatever potentially goes wrong on your Jeep is a direct result of your lift.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Many! thanks again. Yes, I'm supposing that suspension lift is to clear higher rocks and body lift to clear higher tires.. obviously I need to find the "FAQ for the total novice".

Oh well... its going to be a fun set of lessons...LOL

Quick Reply: Do-it-yourself ??