Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do-it-yourself ??

Old 12-31-2006, 12:59 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bperrypa
Many! thanks again. Yes, I'm supposing that suspension lift is to clear higher rocks and body lift to clear higher tires.. obviously I need to find the "FAQ for the total novice".

Oh well... its going to be a fun set of lessons...LOL
Something like that. A body lift does just that, raises the body of your Jeep up off the frame. This will allow you to clear bigger tires and by virtue of it, gain a small amount of ground clearance but it'll do nothing for you in terms of suspension capabilities.

A suspension lift will phyiscally lift your entire Jeep up off the ground, allow you to install bigger tires, give you greater approach/breakover/departure angles and give you a lot more suspension capabilities on the trail (i.e. more axle articulation)
Old 12-31-2006, 01:37 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
I wouldn't worry about torqing down bolts unless you remove control arms . . which you shouldn't have to do.

sway bar and shock bolts are pretty much just "good n tight" with a regular wrench.
Or, if you remove the track bar which you do have to do on some kits like the Full Traction 3" kits. These NEED to be re-tightend to 125 ft. lbs. of torque. A loose track bar can cause death wobble
Old 12-31-2006, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it's always good to torque things down as needed. And I'd suggest having a least one other person helping you. We had a dude in my local club try to tackle a simple project and had his truck fall off his jack and onto his leg, he was under there for over an hour b4 someone came! so always be safe, and if you are not sure of something, even in the middle of doing it, stop, and find out the answer, There should be enough of us on here that can lend some advice quick enough for you if you run into trouble. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wayoflife,

Your photography and writing skills are excellent. I'm very impressed with the structure of this forum and the the JK website you're running. I have to admit, this is the first time in my life I have ever been addicted to a forum/website! Keep up the good work, and a big thank you from myself and (I'm sure) everyone around here!

Happy New Year!
Dean
Old 01-01-2007, 02:30 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Dean
Wayoflife,

Your photography and writing skills are excellent. I'm very impressed with the structure of this forum and the the JK website you're running. I have to admit, this is the first time in my life I have ever been addicted to a forum/website! Keep up the good work, and a big thank you from myself and (I'm sure) everyone around here!

Happy New Year!
Dean
Thanks Dean, you are too kind. Truth of the matter is, Project-JK and JK-Forum are only addicting because of all the wonderful people that make up this great community. And, to that, my hat is off to all of you!

Have a Happy New Year all,
Eddie
Old 01-01-2007, 11:30 PM
JK Freak

On that note, i too would like to thank Wayoflife for the awesome site. I've been watching your 4x4xplor site for years now helping me make decisions and learn how to do stuff, or to just get ideas and sometimes to just cure boredom. I've had a YJ as my first car which saw more maintainance and repair due to age (and my abusive driving habits) than upgrades.. then a TJ that got layed out... that site was great with so much useful information. Now a JK site is perfect because i just got my rubi unlimited and i have some big plans for it over the years. Anyway, didnt mean to be off topic for the thread, just wanted to say thanks!

Quick Reply: Do-it-yourself ??