Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynatrac Prosteer BJ Rebuild

Old 09-07-2018, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That unique tool that DT has looks similar to a plumbing nipple that I use (in conjunction with the rental bj kit) to scoop the upper ball joints out of the housing. I dislike replacing ball joints and as terrible as it sounds, I'm glad someone has done the DT's so the rest of us can get a sigh of relief that we aren't all idiots for buying the more economical choices like TF.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had really good luck with my DT balljoints. They had 35,000 miles on them and were still like new. I lubed them every 3K at oil change. I only had a 35" tire on my Jeep though so maybe that helped but a heavier V8 engine.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by scubatech
I had really good luck with my DT balljoints. They had 35,000 miles on them and were still like new. I lubed them every 3K at oil change. I only had a 35" tire on my Jeep though so maybe that helped but a heavier V8 engine.
I could be wrong, but I'd think the extra weight of engine and such probably isn't as detrimental as as things like running low backspace. I currently run 3.5" BS with 37s, and before these wheels I was using a spacer with 4.5" BS wheels for a net of 3" BS. I have to imagine all the stress is getting worse the further that wheel is moving out. On top of that, I run long travel shocks, so my axle is drooping a decent bit more than most when off road. I hit an RTI ramp prior to my Moab trip to check a rear DS clearance issue I was having, and with front driver tire up on the ramp, my front passenger tire is really rolling over on to the side wall. Not saying my articulation is better or not better than anyone else, but point being I think no doubt those BJs are being stressed way more than a normal wear and tear situation.

Since I only rebuilt the passenger side, I'll be a little curious to see moving forward how long the driver's side holds up. I've started wondering if my wheelin' style tends to put more stress on the passenger side vs. the driver's side, or if it's all just a fluke. If I recall, my previous failure with Synergy BJs was the passenger side as well, although on 35s with 4.5" BS (they lasted 12k miles over ~9 months of DD and a good amount of wheelin').
Old 09-13-2018, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by resharp001
<snip> I could be wrong, but I'd think the extra weight of engine and such probably isn't as detrimental as as things like running low backspace. I currently run 3.5" BS with 37s, and before these wheels I was using a spacer with 4.5" BS wheels for a net of 3" BS. I have to imagine all the stress is getting worse the further that wheel is moving out. </snip>
That's my feeling as well. The increased leverage of tires further out has to amplify the forces of dead weight, shock loads, and heavy tire vibes.

A trail bud of mine has mostly had 35's and now 37's, and replaced ball joints more than once. Recently, both the axle broke and the axle housing cracked after switching to 37's while we were in a remote place 900 miles from home. On top of that, that's when my clutch started going bad so we both had to nurse our Jeeps back -- Some adventures just go that way, but we still had a good time solving the problems. Just turned out more expensive for both of us.

Anyway, I helped him put in a new heavy duty 44 (can't remember which) and hopefully it will last a long time. It definitely drives better on the road. On the other hand, the original ball joints are still fine on mine with over 100K miles on 33's with stock back spacing -- But there's ~2" less clearance under the axle, that's the trade-off.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

resharpe001 & Mr.T........I agree with both of you on backspace. These unit bearing hubs definitely don't like the added stress. I ran as little as possible which was stock wheels with 1.5" spacer.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
On the other hand, the original ball joints are still fine on mine with over 100K miles on 33's with stock back spacing -- But there's ~2" less clearance under the axle, that's the trade-off.

I waited longer than most before I lifted and mounted larger tires. Right around 100K miles is when I lifted and added 35s. My stock ball joints were fine at that 100K mile time. Not so fine when I checked them around 140K miles with the 35s and 4.5in B.S. Not terrible but definitely had some wobble in them and could benefit to be replaced. I replaced the stockers with the TF HD ball joints at 150K miles.

I agree with you guys. The added stress due to the lower B.S. and extra weight of the larger tires is what starts the deterioration of the stock ball joints. I don't see myself currently going to 37s, but I would expect if I ever do I may need to replace these TF ball joints sooner, rather than later due to the added weight of 37s and the lower b.s. needed to go along with them.

I can't say I enjoyed replacing my ball joints, so that's definitely a deterrent for myself if I ever get an itch to move to 37s.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-14-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I hate Dynatrac. These BJs are the biggest effing headache. Long story, but decided to replace driver's side tonight. Figured 90 minutes and would be set. Hell no....cuz these things are just never easy. Went to press the joint off the lower stud......lawd knows how long I tried pressing this off when finally at last the sleeve gave out completely and the ball went right on through. 12-ton press mind you. figured I'd turn the sleeve over to hold the ball that way....nope, that side gave out too. Ball was impossible to remove from the stud. I want someone from Dynatrac to come to my house and show me how on earth you're supposed to remove the stud with a simple vice, punch, and hammer!!! I spent couple hours on this alone, and I'm not even done with the one joint. Couldn't get anything to hold the ball in place to press the stud out. I HATE these ball joints. This one stud cost me an entire evening. I can't believe how hard that was to press off......it was 100X harder than the 2 joints I rebuilt last week.

Don't buy this shit guys! Don't buy in to the "oh you can rebuild these without pressing in new one". F this crap. And I'm not joking. Done.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You can tag @Dynatrac and they may be able to help out. I hate doing ball joints- no matter if it's a replacement, rebuild, or simple swap.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You can tag @____
well, they had better show up now. They used to show up any time that you spelled the whole name and at least that was respectable, but lately JK's get no love.......
I really don't care if they respond or don't. This is total bullshit if you ask me. Honestly, I was ok with pressing the joints on last time...was what it was. Not easy per se, but not THAT hard. tonight was a complete cluster F. There is no way any of you would have tried to press this joint off the stud and thought it was anywhere near a normal experience. Par for the course. I was short of demanding a new stud from DT till I finally found the perfect thing......$3 plumbing fitting that I didn't use in the previous rebuild, which helped hold the ball of the joint in place.

Total salt in the wound......I had just returned the O'Reilly BJ press earlier in the day. Wife was pissed when I sent her out to retrieve it later tonight.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:23 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would note, I was so pissed off, I put that ball in a vice and crank it down hard. Punch on the stud and did my best "Ghost of Harambee"..........and it was just as comical as I've said it would be.

Quick Reply: Dynatrac Prosteer BJ Rebuild