Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Dana60/44 Hybrid DIY Conversion planning discussion (Fushion 4x4)

Old 08-09-2017, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if things changed in the last 6 months, but my buddy bought the Spicer Ultimate 44 from 4WD (Sara Oaks is our clubs sales person, ask for her and see if she can still do this?) for $3500 sitting on his driveway with upgrade alloy axle shafts, gears of his choice, TruTrac LSD, thicker/bigger tubes, massively upgraded brackets, HD inner knuckles, added caster for lifts... It is a turn-key solution that may not be the strongest option out there, but it is one of the very cheapest.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

^^^
Gears, Truetrac, upgraded axles, tubes, etc for $3500? Yeah, that has my interests. Thanks Larry!

Hubs?
Bolt on re-use of the stock brakes?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
^^^ Gears, Truetrac, upgraded axles, tubes, etc for $3500? Yeah, that has my interests. Thanks Larry! Hubs? Bolt on re-use of the stock brakes?
There won't be TruTrac option on the UD44, it is a enhanced Rubi housing. But it is a great deal. And yes it uses your factory knuckles and brakes.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
There won't be TruTrac option on the UD44, it is a enhanced Rubi housing. But it is a great deal. And yes it uses your factory knuckles and brakes.
I'm in a toss up between truetrac or lockers in the front. Definitely Truetrac in the rear. I like playing in the snow, so that's why I'm leaning towards an axle that would give me a truetrac option in the front. Always on scenarios. I also don't prefer the hard steering that comes with a locked front axle.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in a toss up between truetrac or lockers in the front. Definitely Truetrac in the rear. I like playing in the snow, so that's why I'm leaning towards an axle that would give me a truetrac option in the front. Always on scenarios. I also don't prefer the hard steering that comes with a locked front axle.
There is not much choice in the matter for a TruTrac front. Like you, I was determined to have TruTrac front and rear but alas the only way to get a TruTrac in a front D44 is if you order a Dynatrac PR44 or G2 Core44 SAE housing. All other front D44 housings including factory Rubi are Metric.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^
Gears, Truetrac, upgraded axles, tubes, etc for $3500? Yeah, that has my interests. Thanks Larry!

Hubs?
Bolt on re-use of the stock brakes?
I talked to my gear set up guy the other day and he was saying within this year they are reworking the axle. The c's will be twice as thick and they will be putting the ARB in them. I've seen them they reuse your hubs and brakes
Old 08-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cedarraider
I talked to my gear set up guy the other day and he was saying within this year they are reworking the axle. The c's will be twice as thick and they will be putting the ARB in them. I've seen them they reuse your hubs and brakes
I'm just in the planning stages right now. I'm actually considering waiting until the JL comes out as well. I'm curious to find out if the JL and JK axles will be interchangeable and maybe the JL will provide another axle option to our shopping list.

Quick Reply: Front Dana60/44 Hybrid DIY Conversion planning discussion (Fushion 4x4)