Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gearing

Old 09-18-2018, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearing

hello,

so i got 4:10 ratio on my back axle and put on 35 inch tires, my gearing if for stock tire size and ratios. how do i change the gears to work with the new ratio?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Bit confused by the international grammar. Your 2012 wrangler has 4.10 gears. You mention only the rear. You have 4.10 gears both front and rear correct? You've put on 35" tires, and you're asking how to adjust things for the change in tire size? That is what I think you're asking. If that is the case, you just need a programmer to tell the computer what your actual tires size is. You don't HAVE to program the tire size, but your speedometer and calculated fuel economy will be off a bit if you don't. Moving up to a 35" tire, your speedo will be off by about 5mph (~8kph) up at highway speeds if you don't adjust.
The following users liked this post:
Wandell (09-20-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Pay a dealership to reprogram tire size. (not sure about max height, I've seen different responses.)
Buy a Programmer: AEV ProCal , Superchips FlashCal, etc
Buy a Tuner : Superchips FlashPaq or Traildash, Diablosport, BullyDog, etc etc

Note that programmers/tuners lock to a vehicle VIN number. So if you buy a used one, MAKE SURE that the previous owner went back to stock and unlocked it.
The following users liked this post:
Wandell (09-20-2018)

Quick Reply: gearing