Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Tires and Lift

Old 08-14-2017, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Tires and Lift

Hi

I have a Jeep Wrangler Arctic Edition 2012 (2 doors). I want to lift it 2.5 inches but first wanted to check if everything I plan to buy will fit:

- Rough Country Suspension Lift Kit 2.5 inches
- Toyo 315/70/R17
- I will keep the rims that came with the car.
- 1" wheel spacers

I have an ARB front bumper already installed in the car.

I am not expert in car mechanics so any help is appreciate it.

Regards
Peter
Old 08-14-2017, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not quite an expert on the JK yet, so I'm sure someone else will chime in, but these are my initial thoughts.

Most people will tell you to steer clear of the Rough Country kits. They're cheap, and cheap isn't necessarily good, especially when we're talking about the suspension for your vehicle. My recommendation would be to spend a few more dollars and go with a better quality lift.

At 2.5 you're going to want to add exhaust spacers and extended bump stops. Some get away with shock extensions but I'd add a new set of correct length shocks instead. Buy once, cry ones.

Finally, to run the stock wheels on those 34.5" tires I think you're going to need more than 1" spacers. The recommended backspacing for new rims is 4.5" or thereabouts, so I'd think you'd need more like a 2" spacer to make them work without issue. The problem with running large spacers like that is that you've now put stress further out on the lugs, but people do it.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are a few threads stuck right to the top of this Modified area that might be a good place to start. If you are thinking about installing yourself, you can find some How-To's up in the JK Writeups area (there are a few threads stuck to the top of that area as well...)

As noted above, the general recommendation for 35x12.50 tires is a 4.50" backspace, or roughly 1.75" further out than where a stock rim sits. You want the Spidertrax type of spacer/adapter that uses two sets of bolts, not the thin ones that sandwich between and leave fewer threads available on the studs.

If you decide on a lift instead of chopping your flares or moving to flats, there are a bunch of options out there. Do more research before latching onto the absolute cheapest lift you can find ...

Quick Reply: Help with Tires and Lift