Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Measuring LCAs with flex joints and bends?

Old 08-10-2017, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Y, outside of some major change to your build, you shouldn't have to adjust those again. But, it's been a good learning experience for you at least.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get it beside the joint on the face of the flange ? I can get a magnetic angle and my phone on there.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

The shop alignment numbers are in. They charged me for an alignment, my toe was out some.

Here's where I'm at now with the Front LCAs adjusted to 23 1/16"

This is exactly where I was hoping to be for caster!!! I was worried I was going to be in the low 4's with those 1.5 and 2.0 degree pinion measurements.

Using that 1.3 degree flange measurement, it looks like my pinion angle measurement was off by .5 to .7 degrees

I can say this for certain. I didn't think my JKU rode "bad" previously, when my caster was in that 2.7deg range. I thought it was ok and sometimes it was a bit harsh going over some of the larger bumps in the road, especially driving over parking lot speed bumps and railroad tracks it Would feel harsh. Now that I've adjusted those arms and my caster is in that 5.3 range, it feels like I'm riding in a cadillac. It actually reminds me of the day I drove my JKU home new from the dealership.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Well, glad you got that squared away. That angle finder was off by a decent amount....surprised by that much. Mine was much closer than that, but maybe I just got lucky.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Well, glad you got that squared away. That angle finder was off by a decent amount....surprised by that much. Mine was much closer than that, but maybe I just got lucky.
Yes, going to have to play around with taking that measurement some more now that I know what I'm doing and I have a target I'm aiming for.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep i was different about 1° , so now you know the difference next time if adjusting CA's.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as far as replacing your joints with MCs, i don't think it is smart move. they aren't designed to bound when level. that's one of the reasons MC has to build their arms with proper geometry. i believe you can replace the RC joints with Johnny Joints.

Quick Reply: Measuring LCAs with flex joints and bends?