Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REGEAR 2010 JK Sport 6 speed manual

Old 08-08-2017, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REGEAR 2010 JK Sport 6 speed manual

Need to know how to regear my 2010 JK sport 2 door manual 6 speed with 98,000 miles on it. I plan to run 35" A/T tires with a 4" suspension lift. My rear axle has 3.21 and im not sure about the front. Need to know what material to buy, what gear to install, if I should take this project on myself or send it to a shop, and what else I would need to mod to make this all come true. Not too experienced with working on cars but I have friends with tools and a little knowledge...
Old 08-08-2017, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by evanlepage98
My rear axle has 3.21 and im not sure about the front.
The front should be the same as the rear.

Originally Posted by evanlepage98
Need to know what material to buy, what gear to install, if I should take this project on myself or send it to a shop, and what else I would need to mod to make this all come true. Not too experienced with working on cars but I have friends with tools and a little knowledge...
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, especially when it comes to setting up differentials. You want to have someone who knows what they're doing and can do it with their eyes closed. It's more than tearing it down, putting new gears in, and putting it all back together. You need to check clearances, lash, mesh patterns, etc. Doing it wrong will result in failure. If you're lucky, it will only be parts. Not so lucky? Lock up a diff going down the freeway.

I'd suggest you take it to a shop. There are charts out there in abundance that will give you an idea for gearing based upon tire diameter. A local shop should be able to get you dialed in on what you're looking to do.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I agree with Jordy. This is not a task to jump in to unless you are confident in what you're doing. It's not something to experiment with, and it's not the same as bolting things on. Unless your friends have experience regearing things, I'd plan on taking it to a shop. Cost will vary depending on location, but most places you're looking at $1500+/-. That includes parts and labor for a basic regear (not adding lockers and such).
Old 08-08-2017, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with these guys, you should pay a shop to do it. You should also think about lockers... it's the perfect time to install them.

Quick Reply: REGEAR 2010 JK Sport 6 speed manual