Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

regearing question...

Old 01-02-2007, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regearing question...

i found out to regear the 3.21 to 4.10 would cost about $431.50 for the ring/pin kit (parts only) and i guess w/ the new dana 44 doesn't require a case or something like that.

does anyone know if this is true? has anyone done this yet.

thank you
Old 01-02-2007, 10:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Price for parts only sounds like it could be right once they are actually available but at the moment, nobody has JK gears out yet.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

dana gave me the part no: 2005116-5
i'm a newbie so not sure what to do next
Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbitears
dana gave me the part no: 2005116-5
i'm a newbie so not sure what to do next
I'm sorry, you did say 4.10 gears and that should be available as it is a factory ratio. I should clarify that you won't be able to find a ring & pinion from an aftermarket manufacturer like AlloyUSA, Precision Gear or Superior Axle at this time.

If you have a Dana 44, you should not need a new carrier and labor may cost around $500 per axle.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
I'm sorry, you did say 4.10 gears and that should be available as it is a factory ratio. I should clarify that you won't be able to find a ring & pinion from an aftermarket manufacturer like AlloyUSA, Precision Gear or Superior Axle at this time.

If you have a Dana 44, you should not need a new carrier and labor may cost around $500 per axle.
i'd like to regear it to 4.10 but everything seems complicated... and expensive. i'd like to put 33 tires but want to make sure the stock 3.21 will be ok??? i think i got the wrong jeep and should have settled for the B package with the seats that don't have height adjustment :confused:

please, please any tips...
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rabbitears
i'd like to regear it to 4.10 but everything seems complicated... and expensive. i'd like to put 33 tires but want to make sure the stock 3.21 will be ok??? i think i got the wrong jeep and should have settled for the B package with the seats that don't have height adjustment :confused:

please, please any tips...
I have 33"s with the 3.21 gears, it's fine since my chip flash. I too would love lower gears, but I am not paying the factory prices for factory gears, I want to put at least 4.56's or 4.88's but want to wait till the aftermarket stronger stuff is out. You will be fine the stock gears and 33"s.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
I have 33"s with the 3.21 gears, it's fine since my chip flash. I too would love lower gears, but I am not paying the factory prices for factory gears, I want to put at least 4.56's or 4.88's but want to wait till the aftermarket stronger stuff is out. You will be fine the stock gears and 33"s.
thank you for your reply. i'm sorry, but i don't know what a chip flash is? at this point i can't really afford the lower gears and hope i can just get the 33 tires. i mainly use it on regular roads and go off road sometimes on weekends. i'm not a heavy offroader, i just drive on trails with mud. i may do 1 cross country trip to vegas but otherwise, this will mainly be used for 80% regular roads 20% muddy trails.

can anyone here recommend what tires i should get?

thank you again for your help.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

the flash is for a TSB (technical Service Bulletin)
here is a link to a thread about it https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/tsb-18-036-06-awesome-1224/

it is only for JK's built before Nov. 10th I think.

as far as the 33's with our gears, I wheel mine a lot, dirt, mud, rocks, mountains, and it's been awesome all around. I drive on the interstate to work, again still awesome. around town, still awesome, I have no complaints about the gears, me wanting lower gears is more a want then a need. and that want is only for rock crawling really. as far as tires, that depends on what you really want out of them, for me, I need/want a rugged Mud terrain, but some people may be ok with just an A/Ts. So again tires is up to your needs/wants. I love my tires, Maxxis Buckshot Mudders, they are fairly cheep, very durable (10 ply sidewalls) and do great on rocks and mud. but Maxxis makes some other tires that I've heard good things about too, like the Bighorns, which look more like the Wrangler MTR's with cool tread coming down on the side walls. and they are lots cheeper then Wrangler MTR's, but my girlfriend has the Wrangler MTR's on her 06 Rubicon, and she loves them, and they have been an awesome tire, but again you pay more for them, but they have some really killer features, like some kind of gel in the sidewall that helps seal up side punctures. for me, i seem to wear my tires more then a normal driver, so price is a huge factor with me, but performance is another. I've been wheeling with lots of people and you can see a huge difference in traction between A/T's and Mud Terrains... so far, I'd say Mud is always better (but I may get flamed for that, but that is just my opinion).

sorry for rambling, but I hope that helped some.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
the flash is for a TSB (technical Service Bulletin)
here is a link to a thread about it https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224

it is only for JK's built before Nov. 10th I think.

as far as the 33's with our gears, I wheel mine a lot, dirt, mud, rocks, mountains, and it's been awesome all around. I drive on the interstate to work, again still awesome. around town, still awesome, I have no complaints about the gears, me wanting lower gears is more a want then a need. and that want is only for rock crawling really. as far as tires, that depends on what you really want out of them, for me, I need/want a rugged Mud terrain, but some people may be ok with just an A/Ts. So again tires is up to your needs/wants. I love my tires, Maxxis Buckshot Mudders, they are fairly cheep, very durable (10 ply sidewalls) and do great on rocks and mud. but Maxxis makes some other tires that I've heard good things about too, like the Bighorns, which look more like the Wrangler MTR's with cool tread coming down on the side walls. and they are lots cheeper then Wrangler MTR's, but my girlfriend has the Wrangler MTR's on her 06 Rubicon, and she loves them, and they have been an awesome tire, but again you pay more for them, but they have some really killer features, like some kind of gel in the sidewall that helps seal up side punctures. for me, i seem to wear my tires more then a normal driver, so price is a huge factor with me, but performance is another. I've been wheeling with lots of people and you can see a huge difference in traction between A/T's and Mud Terrains... so far, I'd say Mud is always better (but I may get flamed for that, but that is just my opinion).

sorry for rambling, but I hope that helped some.
thanks for the tips! appreciate it. i had bfg MT on our cherokee and that worked out well. the discount tire guy told me to get the buckshot mudders, i never tried them before, but if you say they're good, maybe i'll try it, it fits more in my budget. my jeep was made in oct 06 so hopefully i can do that flashing thing. i don't drive a lot on the freeway (prolly twice a week) and the only trip i plan to make is the one to vegas. that will be my longest trip on the freeway (about 3000 miles). i like the feeling of the mudders better when i'm driving in slushy trails, i feel safer, they seem grippier, and i'm often alone so the last thing i want to do is get stuck.

i haven't tried out ATs so not sure...

Quick Reply: regearing question...