Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Help

Old 06-18-2017, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Starter Help

I have an 08 JKU. 134k. Installed new Alternator. Immediately upon startup starter will not disengage. Tried restart twice. Same result. Starter is original. Is a new starter needed as well now? Thanks for any advice.
Mtnbkr

Last edited by MTNBKR; 06-18-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Do you mean it stays engaged after the engine starts, and the fly wheel spins the starter very fast?
Old 06-18-2017, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No sorry. My engine is actually not starting. I'm charging the battery now. Could that actually be the issue. Thx for the help RONJEX
Old 06-18-2017, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

So, what exactly do you mean by " Immediately upon startup starter will not disengage"?

Are you trying to say the starter keeps cranking the engine for a time after you let go of the key?
If so, that's normal behavior for a JK with automatic transmission. It's called Tip-Start. Blip the key over to the start position and the starter will crank until the engine starts, or up to 10 seconds if the engine fails to start.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just joined, and reading this. I have a 07 I just bought (4dr 4wd automatic). Sometimes when I start it the starter stays engaged. Is that what you are talking about with the Tip-Start? No corrections needed.? Its normal.

Quick Reply: Starter Help