Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex 2.5 post install questions

Old 07-31-2017, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex 2.5 post install questions

Wrapped up the install of my lift last week, spring lift with Bilstein 5100s and an RK front track bar. Couple of questions that linger:

The instructions on the kit say that the rear track bar should bolt into the top hole on the relocation bracket, however when it is in that position the bolt and nut make contact with the spring. I have it bolted into the bottom hole now and there seem to be no issues. Am I missing something, or should I leave it as is?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Have you tried flipping the bolt to face the other direction? Rock Krawler isn't necessarily thorough in their directions but I recall some manufacturers ask you to flip that bolt.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Have you tried flipping the bolt to face the other direction? Rock Krawler isn't necessarily thorough in their directions but I recall some manufacturers ask you to flip that bolt.
The kit didn't come with instructions, which seems like an obvious oversight, but I was able to pull them up online. They don't say anything about flipping the bolt, only that it's a flag nut which means it needs to hook on something to tighten.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Just a thought but have you emailed Teraflex...their customer support was great when i was installing mine. i know when i downloaded instructions from the internet, they were close but not exact for what actually was to be done...their customer support answered all my questions.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

This isn't a Teraflex specific issue....really seems to be an issue with all the kits that use a standard raised bracket there on the rear. Best you can really do is flip the bolt and insert it rearwards so the head is by the spring and the nut is in towards the back of the jeep.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
This isn't a Teraflex specific issue....really seems to be an issue with all the kits that use a standard raised bracket there on the rear. Best you can really do is flip the bolt and insert it rearwards so the head is by the spring and the nut is in towards the back of the jeep.
this...flip the bolt.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

I got under there today and re-checked things - the bolt makes contact with the spring when placed in the top hole, regardless of whether its head facing in or head facing out. It may be a moot point however -

The point of the bracket is to help recenter the axle after the lift, right? With the bolt in the top hole it shifts the Jeep 1/4" or more too far to the drivers side. It's better in the bottom hole, however it's still about a 1/4" canted drivers side. How far can the axle be off before its an issue?
Old 08-07-2017, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

A lot of the raised brackets that come with lifts don't offer multiple mounting options....they just give you one hole to mount to. Jeeps will all sit differently post-lift due to various modifications, and Teraflex is nice enough to offer a couple options. Some people with that same lift might need to mount in the top hole due to their circumstances. If you're finding better luck with it mounted in the lower hole, there is no issue with that. Measuring these things is sometimes difficult, but there will be a small difference between the two mounting locations with the upper hole pushing the axle a bit more driver's side than the lower. I'd have to think if you're measuring 1/4" too far driver in both the upper and lower mount, then there is just a small bit of measurement error in there. If you unbolt that rear TB and try to line it up with the other hole, you're physically gonna have to nudge the body one way or the other to get it to line up......there is no way around that.

Outside of buying an adjustable rear TB, you can't dial it in exactly. You shouldn't notice anything major being off by 1/4". I'd mount in the lower hole in your case and not worry about it.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
A lot of the raised brackets that come with lifts don't offer multiple mounting options....they just give you one hole to mount to. Jeeps will all sit differently post-lift due to various modifications, and Teraflex is nice enough to offer a couple options. Some people with that same lift might need to mount in the top hole due to their circumstances. If you're finding better luck with it mounted in the lower hole, there is no issue with that. Measuring these things is sometimes difficult, but there will be a small difference between the two mounting locations with the upper hole pushing the axle a bit more driver's side than the lower. I'd have to think if you're measuring 1/4" too far driver in both the upper and lower mount, then there is just a small bit of measurement error in there. If you unbolt that rear TB and try to line it up with the other hole, you're physically gonna have to nudge the body one way or the other to get it to line up......there is no way around that.

Outside of buying an adjustable rear TB, you can't dial it in exactly. You shouldn't notice anything major being off by 1/4". I'd mount in the lower hole in your case and not worry about it.
I don't want anyone to misunderstand - I'm not trying to complain about Teraflex's product at all, just to clarify what the correct positioning is. I probably wasn't clear - the axle was a full 1/2" canted toward the drivers side in the top hole, about a 1/4" in the lower hole. I did have to rock the Jeep to get it into the respective holes in the bracket, that's correct.

I did call Teraflex this afternoon and the tech said that the correct position for the 2.5" kit is the lower bolt hole, that the upper should be used for 3" and higher.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:52 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by darien99
I don't want anyone to misunderstand - I'm not trying to complain about Teraflex's product at all, just to clarify what the correct positioning is. I probably wasn't clear - the axle was a full 1/2" canted toward the drivers side in the top hole, about a 1/4" in the lower hole. I did have to rock the Jeep to get it into the respective holes in the bracket, that's correct.

I did call Teraflex this afternoon and the tech said that the correct position for the 2.5" kit is the lower bolt hole, that the upper should be used for 3" and higher.
THAT makes perfect sense. I think you must have just had a typo in your previous post as you stated both measurments left you 1/4" to the driver's side.

Quick Reply: Teraflex 2.5 post install questions