Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Build Feedback Requested

Old 08-03-2018, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Feedback Requested

Good afternoon, all...

About to pull the trigger on a set up this weekend. I just wanted some general feedback.

Lift: Rubicon express 2 1/2 inch with the mono tube shocks.
Rubicon Express Part #: RE7141M

Lower Control Arms: Fixed Synergy. I’m getting the new ones that are both bent in and up for wheel and ground clearance.
Synergy Manufacturing Part #: PPM-8047

Front adjustable track bar: TeraFlex monster. Teraflex Part #: 1753418

Please feel free to give me some feedback as I will be making this purchase tomorrow.

Side Notes: Tires: 315/70/17’s Spacing: I will be doing spidertrax 1.5” wheel spacers. I’m aware some people are against spacers. I’m not looking for feedback on this piece as my decision is made.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Why did you choose the Rubicon Express and what is the primary function of the vehicle? Those pieces of info will be helpful to others looking to offer you advice. You should be asking the same questions of anyone who is giving you advice....figure out why they're pointing you in the direction they are.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

I chose the rubicon express because it comes with the Blstein shocks. I don’t want to use the caster adjusting bolts which is why I want to go with the Synergy lca’s.

The jeep will primarily be a daily driver with the occasional challenging trail. Everything from Ouray, Colorado to some trails in Moab.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Woo Parker Colorado, same neighborhood as I.

I can’t attest to Rubicon Express stuff. I lifted my Jeep to 2.5” using Metalcloak overlander kit. I have been very pleased with the kit. My Jeep is 80% daily driver. It handles great on road and off road. It has given me more confidence on the Rocky Mountain passes, I know the ride was capable stock, but I always had way more pucker moments going over some biggish rocks on trails like Hancock Pass. Now not so much. Recently did Tincup Pass and I sailed through it due to the added comfort of knowing I have plenty of clearance.

Personally I was very close to purchasing AEVs 2.5 kit. There’s a local AEV shop down in Castle Rock near the Burly Man Brewing company, if you wanted to visit with them. (AEVs kit has Bilsteins) I apologize that I am not giving you concrete “Go for it advice.” It’s like Karl said though it comes down to what you want to do with your rig. I’d research the heck out of the Rubicon Express kit and compare them to similar kits. Dirtman had a great point and it’s why I ended up with Metalcloak, sure I could have gotten the cheaper Skyjacker kit, but you get what you pay for and I know Metalcloak backs up their product.

Hopefully this wasn’t TL;DR.

If you order it man, you’re welcome to hit me up and I’d come help you install the kit. I got plenty of tools and some firsthand experience. Cheers.

I wouldn’t sweat the spacers either. I have the same Spidertrax 1.5 on my stock 16 rims. Running 285/75/16 tires and no rubbing or riding issues. Make sure you do your tire research I mistakenly got the E load rated tires and am unable to get a true full wear tire chalk out of them. You live you learn.

Last edited by Seizer; 08-03-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:56 PM
JK Newbie

Nice! If you want, private message me w/ your phone number and I’ll add you to our small group.

I have done a lot of research on the Rubicon Express. I love that it comes with the Bilstein shocks...

the only complaint seems seems to be the cheesy cam bolts/caster washers so many of these lifts come with. That’s why I’m getting the fixed lower control arms. They will fix my angle.

Thank you for the response!

***side note: I did Red Elephant stock a few weeks ago and got through unscathed. But it did “encourage” me to lift it and get some bigger tires! Lol
Old 08-04-2018, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the heads up… I went ahead and got the C load. It sounds like there simply isn’t enough weight on the jeep to justify going with a D load.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

How do you know that those fixed arms are the length you need? Springs vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and the actual lift netted will vary from jeep to jeep based on various factors and mods. I think it's worth a few extra bucks for adjustability. They'd allow you to place the axle exactly where you want, and should the lift change or grow in the future, they will still work for you, not to mention they could be easier to resell should you ever need to vs. a fixed length. You could also pair a set of adjustable uppers with them further down the road if you ever needed to go that route. Just a thought.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:50 PM
JK Newbie

It is a good thought… I did quite a bit of research and found that these seem to be longer than the JKS or the TeraFlex.

also, I read quite a few forms in regards to these LCA’s.

honestly, I’m counting on them giving me a good caster.

After installing them with the track bar, I will get an alignment and review the caster angle.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by VitalJeep
I did quite a bit of research and found that these seem to be longer than the JKS or the TeraFlex. honestly, I’m counting on them giving me a good caster. After installing them with the track bar, I will get an alignment and review the caster angle.
I might not have explained myself very well last night after driving 12 hours to New Mexico. The point I'm was trying to make is that you're buying set length, without knowing what the perfect length will be on your particular jeep. If you install those springs, and your jeep is really light, you could end up netting an inch+ more than the stated value. Well, that is going to change what length the arm should be. If you install a fixed arm, it's going to move the axle forward and set that caster, period. If the caster is NOT where you want it, the only option will be spend more money and add adjustable uppers so you can rotate the pinion, AND you'd still be stuck with a set of fixed length arms. Why not just get adjustable to start with and KNOW you're going to be able to set the caster where you want it. If you install adjustable arms, get an alignment and caster is not where you want, simply lengthen or shorten the arms a touch.

No doubt that fixed arms are 10,000X better than cam bolts, but I just don't like the fact that they are what they are, and you can't tweak them. Even with control arm brackets you usually have a couple different mounting positions so you can adjust caster to 2 or 3 different settings.

I wouldn't focus so much on the "high clearance" bend.....the joints are the important aspect to look at when buying control arms in my opinion. Something like the Synergy DDM bushing or the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing are what I prefer in that application. All those arms are made to take the abuse for wheelin too. I have Metalcloak arms. They're not bent quite as high as what you're looking at. Do they have a few scratches from rocks, sure. They take some abuse with my use, but they are probably the most solid item on my entire jeep. I can promise you, you're not going to be getting hung up on a control arm when wheelin. You might slide an arm across something, but they aren't going to hang you up.

You should go over and take a look at Seizer's Metalcloak arms. Adjustable Synergy's would be just as good. My point is that the fixed arm only gives you one option, and an adjustable arm gives you an entire range of options, and allows you to accommodate any future changes your build may see. They cost a little more, but worth the small bit for the feature.

Off to Moab today! Happy building regardless of what you decide.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah man if you want to pop by and check out the Metalcloak arms let me know you got my number.

Quick Reply: Build Feedback Requested