Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear MTR

Old 07-27-2018, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear MTR

I recently purchased a set of used 315/75/16 Goodyear MTR from a guy on craiglist that said they were just to loud and hard to keep in balance so he was selling them preety cheap. I had them balanced and they took about 18oz per wheel to get them ok. I have no tire shake but this wonders all over the road. I did 5he chalk line test to get my tire psi correct at 29. I also started at 35 psi and kept going down to 26 to see if it got any better,it didnt. The steering is tight and no play. Has anyone else had issues with these tires all over the road
Old 07-27-2018, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

18oz is a LOT of weight. If they weren't rotated or properly balanced through their life then you're going to be fighting this issue until they're slick.

I haven't personally had the tires on long enough (only a week) but they did move around the road more than a standard road tire....as you would expect with a mud tire.

That being said- I'd ditch those tires pronto, or use them only for off-road events. That kind of weight will wreak havoc on your front end through the miles and years
Old 07-27-2018, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I've known a few people with those tires. They are known to be notoriously aggravating, and their experience was the same. I personally would never buy them.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.My efforts to save a buck are going to cost me more in the long run. I should have just got new from the get go.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Wifes Jeep
My efforts to save a buck are going to cost me more in the long run. I should have just got new from the get go.
This happens a lot, and it seems a lot with these specific tires. They get passed around for this very reason. You're not the first, and you won't be the last. When it comes to tires, unless you just need something to hobble by on (like want to move up in size but can't swing new at the moment), Usually it's best to buy new. Maybe you got them at such a good price you could flip out of them and move on??
Old 08-03-2018, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The MTR's on my TJ also took a lot of weight to balance. However the Nitto Terra Grapler MT's on my JKU hardly needed any.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My MTR 35s had to be balanced every other rotation. Switched to Nittos and had them balanced once when they were new. If your not keeping them for long, it might help to put the ones with the most weight in the rear and forget rotating them.

Quick Reply: Goodyear MTR