Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new tires. All opinions welcome.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new tires. All opinions welcome.

Hey all. Currently running Goodyear Duratrac 315/70/17 on stock wheels with spacers. Got around 65,000 miles on them. Went to a local shop today for a quote, and the tire guy says he can't get Duratracs anymore. He said only authorized tire stores could. Quoted me a price on Nitto Ridge Grapplers instead. So I go to a Goodyear dealer and get a quote for 5 Duratracs. Ouch!!!
So has anyone here ran the Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I definitely don't want a true MT tire since 95% of my driving is on the road. I liked the Duratracs a lot, but I'm not a fan of the price.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As you found out, the Duratracks are a really good tire. But in my opinion, Toyo/Nitto are excellent tires. I believe both the Toyo RT and the Nitto Ridge Grapplers are improvements on the hybrid AT/MT design that the Duratracks originated.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a set of 285/70/17 Amp Terrain Gripper's for my JK. Loving them so far. 40K mile warranty. Winter snowflake rated. They come in 315/70/17 as well. Very reasonably priced as well.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You've got more options for Goodyear than just one guy. Discount Tire is awesome and they'll get what you want. Tire rack claims to have local installers so they'd ship the tires straight there. Walmart even has Goodyear tires. The best part- everyone should be feeling like price matching because (as you found out) that's a lot of money to rake in.

I dislike goodyear in general but I certainly couldn't pay the crazy prices they ask for a Nitto or Toyo. Something else that you should consider, seeing that you put 65k miles on a set of tires- what is the weight of the tires you're considering. More weight means worse gas mileage and longer braking distances.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I know several round here running the Ridge Grappler and are very very happy, but weather in TN might be different than DFW. I run Nitto TGs, and I love Nitto in general for my use, but we're all looking for different needs/uses. If you're looking for Nittos, Discount Tire was the best price I could find, and that was even with a buddy who has wholesale pricing elsewhere. Toyo pricing is better away from DT, but you're either a Toyo or Nitto dealer since they are sister companies.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go General Grabber AT2. Put them on my wife's Jeep and love them. Look, Ride and Cost are all awesome. They are supposedly the same as the old BFG ATs. These are 275/70/18 about 34.5"

Old 09-17-2018, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned Toyo RT's and loved the look and they lasted well and will be going on my truck when it comes time for new tires. ~50,000 miles if you rotate them properly which in my opinion is plenty long for a tire that aggressive. I always say try to find a good local shop but sometimes thats hard to come by. IMO I would stick to Toyo or Nitto as almost anybody who runs either of those will recommend them to you
Old 09-20-2018, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

We ran Dick Cepek Fun Country 2s on our 2012 Rubicon, and had around 70K miles on them when we sold the Jeep to some friends. They are still going strong at about half tread. They were good all around - mud, rock, sand, highway... very impressed. Same size as you, 315/70r17 (35x12.50x17). I understand they now offer a 45K mile warranty on them as well.

Now running Pro Comp Extreme MTs on my new Rubicon. So far, so good.

Last edited by hivoltagedriver; 09-20-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As suggested, hit up discount tire and ask for price matching.

As for the Toyo RT, I've had them on my Jeep for several years now and won't be buying them again. Wet traction on and off road is sub par IMHO. They do fine when dry, but wet traction isn't there. I'll spin on road under normal acceleration. A coworker of mine has them on both his and his wife's jeep and he said they have the same issue.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I went from a Duratrac to the BFG K02 and couldn't be happier. They are great in the weather, solid off road and DEAD SILENT with the top and doors off. That's a big one for me.

Quick Reply: Need new tires. All opinions welcome.