Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want 33"s..... some help pls

Old 09-10-2018, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question want 33"s..... some help pls

hey guys
kinda new to this. I have a '16 Unlimited Black Bear. have tried to keep it mostly stock, as it is my family hauler.
buuut, kids getting a little older, so they can climb better
just finished installing the lift/leveling kit from Quadratec ( 2" front / 1" rear) to make room for new tires, and want to go to a 33" tire. my questions are re the backspacing and if I can utilize the stock rim? and how wide can I go w/ the stock rim and not get rubbing? are aftermarket rims my only option? where's the best place to go? tirerack?

thanks
Old 09-11-2018, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Local tire store if you have one you trust. Discount Tire is usually fair on pricing and have good service. 33's might rub, might not on your sway bar. MY 33's rubbed at first then not at once they wore down a little bit. You can either buy spacers (spidertrax, tereflex, etc) or get rims with ~4.5" backspace. If you like the look of stock but need the backspace check out quadratec's stuff, they have a lot that are stock look alike's but with better backspace for bigger tires.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SheepyTheJKU
Local tire store if you have one you trust. Discount Tire is usually fair on pricing and have good service. 33's might rub, might not on your sway bar. MY 33's rubbed at first then not at once they wore down a little bit. You can either buy spacers (spidertrax, tereflex, etc) or get rims with ~4.5" backspace. If you like the look of stock but need the backspace check out quadratec's stuff, they have a lot that are stock look alike's but with better backspace for bigger tires.
I agree. 33's will rub the control arms unless you use wheel spacers or use aftermarket wheels with less backspacing. Most aftermarket wheels for our Jeeps are 9 inches wide with 4.5 inches of backspacing.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeygjk
hey guys
kinda new to this. I have a '16 Unlimited Black Bear. have tried to keep it mostly stock, as it is my family hauler.
buuut, kids getting a little older, so they can climb better
just finished installing the lift/leveling kit from Quadratec ( 2" front / 1" rear) to make room for new tires, and want to go to a 33" tire. my questions are re the backspacing and if I can utilize the stock rim? and how wide can I go w/ the stock rim and not get rubbing? are aftermarket rims my only option? where's the best place to go? tirerack?

thanks
I put LT285/70/17's on my 17 Sport S 2Dr. They rubbed pretty bad on the swaybar with stock suspension. But when I added 2.5" to the front with the swaybar links from the rear the rub was completely eliminated. Stock wheels and no spacers.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by electroz
I put LT285/70/17's on my 17 Sport S 2Dr. They rubbed pretty bad on the swaybar with stock suspension. But when I added 2.5" to the front with the swaybar links from the rear the rub was completely eliminated. Stock wheels and no spacers.
Yea, I had about 2.5" of lift over stock FYI, and the rubbing is nothing that would cause problems, just couldnt fully lock. I vote throw them on, and add spacers if it rubs too much. Spacers are at most $200 for the full set, and you might can find them used on here.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeygjk
hey guys
are aftermarket rims my only option? where's the best place to go? tirerack?
Remember that both tire height and tire width can vary quite a bit between mfg's (given the same stated size), as can vehicle specs/weight/load/specific components/etc. So you aren't going to find a one-size-fits-all answer about what will/won't rub on 'your' jeep. But, if you find that 33's rub with stock rims, you could try adding a few washers to the steer stops. (This will limit the turn radius a bit, but could be enough to stop the rub.) Or wheel spacers, as mentioned above. (If you go this route, don't go for cheap knock-offs. Spidertrax is the market leader, can't go wrong with them, and there are several other quality options out there). Just be sure to read the instructions, install correctly, and don't forget about them once they are on. You really don't want those hidden bolts to loosen up. Or, if you talk yourself into just biting the bullet and getting new rims, problem solved...

Check out Discount Tire Direct. Shop the website, but call if you choose to order through them. Free shipping, forum discount, and the last few times I bought they had multi-tire and multi-wheel discounts as well. And if you have a local Discount Tire, they may offer the same discounts if you ask. And if not, they pricematch.

Quick Reply: want 33"s..... some help pls