Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Decline of JK forum

Old 12-30-2017, 12:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I wish people would post more about where they're using their Jeeps--with pics and videos. Trails and Tales, when you ignore the off-subject threads (usually requests for info about routes), is almost entirely dead. As for social media's impact: Facebook search probably won't help you find out how to replace that EGR valve. These Jeep forums are where that info exists. But, as mentioned, most questions have been asked, so there's little further discussion.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-30-2017 at 12:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
doc5339 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 12:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

So, I was going to provide in the post above a specific example of the clutch master cylinder replacement write-up, but I noticed that all of the images are missing. Decided to post a link to the album on FB, where those images are hosted, rather than edit all 14 image links. Except I get this error, which makes it ludicrous to try to post a write-up for anything but the simplest jobs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	676847  
Old 12-30-2017, 05:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

4 images? Wow. That's one way to force people to leave.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the forum needs a chat room they have to keep up with the technology. If they had an attached instant messaging room similar to kik or Snapchat I think many would use it. I am part of a kik group called "jeepin" and the regulars on there are awesome. I go there because when I have a question I get instant answers not days later. And we have a couple people that are professional Mechanics as well as the shade tree type.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:11 AM
JK Newbie

I mentioned planning a short Western Alp jeep tour this summer. If i am able to pull this off (training, and TDY trips may get in the way) would it be of interest to this forum to post photos and some videos? I am new to forums in general and do not have any social media accounts other than WhatsApp. Currently, I have one other local jeeper showing interest. I love the information shared on this forum and am grateful to Dirtman and Mark Doiron for helping guide me in my overland JKU build.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by OvrThru
I mentioned planning a short Western Alp jeep tour this summer. If i am able to pull this off (training, and TDY trips may get in the way) would it be of interest to this forum to post photos and some videos? ....
You bet! That's what the Trails and Tales subforum is supposed to be for.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Ok, I'll make my apology to the forum for not being a team player. When I first joined in 2010, I would engage in many more debates in the discussions I had knowledge in. Although, these debates would often cause the original topic to be forgotten, it did have a positive impact in that many people would be engaged in the discussion to either throw out a jab one way or the other, or just observe to see what mud would be thrown next.

Over the past couple years, I've just lost the interest to engage in those debates as much and have chosen to just let it slide and mostly ignore the mud thrown my way. I only throw moderate mud back now and choose to just move on. I've also intentionally avoided forum sections where these heated discussions tended to happen more often, such as this JK talk section as well as the JK electronics section. I think some people refer to that as taking the high road. The high road while appreciated by many is just not as engaging and interesting, so it has led to some of the lack of forum participation. I don't really consider it as taking the high road, I've just surrendered to the fact that I can only try to educate others in the areas I have knowledge but I'm unable to cure stupid since stupidity is like cancer and can only be contained or temporarily removed but it still keeps coming back in one form or another, where there is still no cure in foreseeable sight.

If you would rather I be more of an A-hole on behalf of saving the forum to increase discussion traffic, then just give give me the nod. I can turn that switch back on if needed. Just realize, it does take much more effort and energy on my part and I'm now 8 years older, so I may have some difficulty at first living up to my past level of expectations.

But Hey!!! I'm always here to offer to do my part if needed to be a team player.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

I'm a "new guy" here @ JKF so I can't comment on what things used to be but I'll say this.....

I am, and have been for many years, a Moderator on a very popular NFL football forum., and we have the same issues from time to time. Here's my 2 on the topic.
People will always come and go, life happens. People get busy, they get new jobs, or lose a job. People get married, and they get divorced etc etc.
In my eyes, the thing to remember about any online community is...,
It's up to the members that are active at any given time to be that, active. An online community is much like a "real life" community, and it is what the people that live there make it. good, bad,or some place in the middle.
I'm certainly not placing blame or pointing fingers but I'll ask ya'll this... are you the kind of person that helps the widow down the street keep her yard mowed, or are you the kind of person that throws your McDonalds bag in her yard?

I've been reading as many threads as i can. as i have time, my observation says that JKF has a great core group with a solid foundation.
If a decline is your concern, my advise would be, don't just read the threads and comments, join the conversation.

A wise man once said,"bad things happen, when good people do nothing"
Cheers
:{)

Last edited by Pmedic920; 02-02-2018 at 05:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ShutterBug (02-03-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

The big stock market drop today has me wondering if the participation drop off here has something to do with a generational change in spending habits -- Maybe priorities are shifting to paying off debt or saving for retirement. Anyone have an opinion on how widespread this is?

Old 02-02-2018, 06:51 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
<snip>If you would rather I be more of an A-hole on behalf of saving the forum to increase discussion traffic, then just give give me the nod. I can turn that switch back on if needed. Just realize, it does take much more effort and energy on my part and I'm now 8 years older, so I may have some difficulty at first living up to my past level of expectations. </snip>
Now I'm going to have to make time to look up some of your old posts! I remember getting into a "god thread" a long time ago -- What a brawl that was, but there were some deep thinking in it too.

Quick Reply: Decline of JK forum