Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Newbie looking for advice

Old 08-19-2018, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie looking for advice

I am looking for my first (used) Wrangler Unlimited. I drove one as a rental a couple years ago and loved it. I'm now ready to jump in. I've been doing research on them, and looking through the online listings of cars for sale, if only to understand what I can get for the money. My price point is ~$20k, which seems to be able to get me anything from an '07 to a 2012, depending on trim and miles. I'm thinking it would be best to get an X/Sport or Sahara (not looking for a Rubicon), and definitely 6-speed manual. Also not looking for something that's been modified ... too much. If I extend my search out to about 100 miles from my home, a few jump out at me as possibilities, such as an '08 X with 125k miles for $14,400, and a '12 Sahara with 86k miles for $22,500, and a lot more in between. I plan to use this as a second car, occasional daily driver, and weekender trips with the spouse, the dog, and our bikes. Not really looking to go off-roading, but not ruling it out either. Anyhow, here are my questions: Given your experience, what are the things I should be watching for or paying attention to as I'm looking around? What questions should I be asking? Any advice or suggestions you can provide to a newbie who is eager to join the Jeep family? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2018, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Cleveland,
I moved to Texas 5 years ago for a job, but I'm Cleveland born & bred. I lived between 77 and W. 150th & Detroit to Memphis and everywhere in between. I'm also new to the Wrangler world, although I had a Patriot for 10 years and it's just amazing that the Wranglers are so expensive, even used. Supply & demand at it's finest.
For Cleveland winters, I don't know how they'll handle. Maybe a northerner here can answer that. But anyway, just nail down what you want. You're doing research and seeing so many options in equipment, colors, packages, so forth. Decide what you think you'll do with it and that will make it easier.
I know I'm not going to pull anyone out of the mud- so I don't want a winch. I'm not offroading because my Jeep is waaay too pretty to get dirty! So I don't want huge tires...anyway, you get the idea- what do you want from it or do with it, that will help you decide.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

GET a 12 at least!!!! It has 40% more horsepower and 10% better gas mileage compared to pre-2012 models. This topic comes up a lot. Hands down, you want the newer engine that the 2012 brings. My 2012 is 6.5yrs old with 103,000 trouble free miles. I bought it new.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Avoid 07-09 like the plague, they've experienced bearing issues. I was in a similar spot with a friend last year and ended up buying a CPO 2016 with 10k miles for $23k. The 12+ is definitely the way to go- as mentioned, power and gas mileage. Also, they've got more aftermarket support for the interior.

All of this coming from a person who bought a 2010 brand new and put 186k miles....so far.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:16 AM
JK Junkie

Also when going with 2012 or newer- it will be hard to find, but if you can find a Jeep with 3.73 gearing, that would be a clear advantage over the 3.21.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Yup, agree with the above. Try to stick with the 3.6L (2012+), If you can locate a '13 in budget, you'll get some more comfortable seats. The fact you're looking for something that hasn't been modified is definitely the proper thing to do. It doesn't sound like the jeep will be piling up the miles, so whatever you buy should really hold its value over the years.

I'd also agree with Rob above, if you can find something with 3.73 gearing that would be preferred. It doesn't sound like you plan on lifting and adding large tires, so any improved factory gearing would be a bonus. Most used dealers and private sellers (unless orig owner), won't be able to tell you what gearing it has. If you can find one that says it has the "max tow package", I believe that gets you the gearing upgrade.

Good luck with your search!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 AM
JK Junkie

In 2012 the Max tow package came with 3.73. That is not true with all years after that.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for advice