Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Recommend cheap readily available storage box

Old 08-26-2018, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Recommend cheap readily available storage box

I'm finally able to keep the top & doors off my Jeep all summer thanks to buying a 2nd vehicle and a house with a garage. I'm looking to spend under $75 for a storage bin to keep in the back of my 2012 Jku. Should be lockable enough to keep honest people out. Anyone know of a good solution from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc? Not purpose built for our jeeps, but fits ok and is functional?
Old 08-27-2018, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

How do you see yourself using that? Trying to find something that you can secure to the jeep? My top is off most of the time. I have underseat storage box up front, and ended up just building a trunk along the lines of Ronjenx old plans that I store tools, or anything else I don't want swiped (like wife's purse) if there is a situation I need to leave something in the jeep.

I don't think there are many great things out there in general. Seems like even Mr. T threw in the towel not too long ago, sucked it up and bought a Tuffy rear storage deck for some security......an item that is way overpriced for what it is, but fills a need.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

I was thinking even a plastic large tool box. I can mount a small ring to run a cable lock through so nobody walks away with the whole box. I need to keep the emergency rain cover in there along with some incidentals. If I use it to go hopping from one store to another I want to keep the recently purchased goods locked up inside. I'm hoping to find something that fits nicely. Here is something I have in mind:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	677187  
Old 08-27-2018, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to use a plastic box similar to the one pictured. I cut out a square on both ends. I ran a locking cable through the cutouts and the rear seat loops. This worked ok but when items were strapped on top you couldn't get at stuff in the box without removing the items on top first. I Broke down and bought the Tuffy security deck. I love this thing. Talk about piece of mind locking things in the back and you can get at anything you want even if there's things on top. I will concur it is over priced.

Last edited by Jeep801; 08-28-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy once, cry once. I bought the cheaper Bestop under-seat storage and wish I had spent a few more bucks for the Tuffy. The drawer doesn't slide all the way out, it doesn't latch when unlocked, it's hard to get to the back of it and the lock mechanism is crappy. All stuff I knew from reading reviews of both of them... so if I get a rear storage box it's probably going to be the Tuffy.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

I wouldn't totally dismiss just building something simple yourself. A couple 2x6 bolted to the tub with L-brackets using the existing tie down bolt locations, and a piece of ply-wood attached on top via hinge creates a nice false floor with a lot of space to throw things underneath. $50, done. finish it with some spray adhesive and material that matches the jeeps carpet, and it's pretty well disguised. Simple padlock in the under/backside which is not accessible without the tailgate opening and you are secure.

This is an old pic of my original unit, but same idea here.....false floor can be about 6" tall before it interferes with the tailgate arm. This one was like 4.5", and my current one is more like 5.5" tall....allowing quite a bit of room under it.

Last edited by resharp001; 08-28-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:37 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks guys. Tuffy is too expensive for my tastes now. It also looks to me like it sits up too high. Sometimes I just want to throw some things in the back without opening the tailgate.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rubbermaid Action Packer
Old 08-29-2018, 02:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Rubbermaid Action Packer
Not a bad idea. I actually have a 24 gallon one of those behind my shed with some camping gear inside. Looks like their 35 gallon one has a chance of fitting in the Jeep also.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

tractor supply has a very durable box for just about that exact price . im going to get one, right now the one i have is rather to big , but has worked nice for my needs. . The one they have is very strongly built and theres a few videos out there on it i saw. but ive seen it in person just didnt buy it as of yet. has a latch for lock https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...rage-box-32-in read reviews

The one i have in mine now is from cabelas but the quality of it wasnt that great . , i secured mine by drilling small holes in bottom of box & run plastic coated cable through the seat clamps and then those small u clamps for cable that you just tighten the 2 nuts to crimp,( inside the box ) Rather than screw into the tub of the jeep. They cant walk away with the chest. you can also mount stuff to the lid as well such as molle type storage. or rack . i like this box from tractor supply because you could crawl over it from inside if need be .And with a larger box , its rather difficult . just my opinion. i prefer the storage box over a tuffy style for my needs , They make a larger one too but not sure you have the clearance https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...n?cm_vc=IOPDP1
gotta replace the box i have now with the 32 " one soon. ! the other option would be a welders box made of steel, then painted with bed liner but a bit heavy in overall weight

Last edited by jeepmojo; 08-29-2018 at 04:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Recommend cheap readily available storage box