Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sun visor questions

Old 08-26-2018, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun visor questions

Due to the nature of what I’m looking for, search results didn’t lend much help. I just bought a 2016 JK and the previous owner decided to take the sun visors out. He put a tinted strip across the top of the windshield that works pretty well, so instead of putting new visors in, I was thinking about incorporating a cell phone mount on the drivers side utilizing the factory sun visor mounting holes and the bolt next to them if needed. Has anyone heard of anyone doing this and does anyone know of a ready-built aftermarket solution?
Old 08-26-2018, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

This definitely sounds like a DIY project. I'm having a hard time imagining anyone would make a cell phone mount that would mount to the sun visor mounting locations since most don't tend to remove the sun visors.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You could build your own bracket to attach to the jeep using a couple screws but I imagine if you come down off of that bracket with a RAM mount then you could attach about any accessory you want. Many people run RAM mounts for phones, GPS, tablets, etc.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

I'm not nearly creative enough to model something up from scratch. I'm the type of guy that buys something off of Amazon, not really the guy that opens a Kickstarter campaign. A ram mount hooked up to a piece of aluminum shaped like a "U" that wraps around and mounts to the sun visor mount area would be pretty useful though (just in case any of you all really creative types decide to build this thing and put it up for sale).
Old 08-27-2018, 10:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

You could always buy a grab bar that mounts right up in that area and comes with a RAM mount on it. I can't recall off the top of my head what the plastic molding up there looks like. If have a few tools, probably would be easy to make a little wood block that you screw in place where the viser would be, and then use a magnetic mount (like a scosche magic mount or generic version) to adhere to the block. I use a magic mount in my '13, but the problem is really finding a place on the dash to stick it. There's just enough room by the cubby on the dash that has a flat surface I stick mine to. I don't have a GPS in the jeep, so like my phone dash level for ease of use.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
You could always buy a grab bar that mounts right up in that area and comes with a RAM mount on it. I can't recall off the top of my head what the plastic molding up there looks like. If have a few tools, probably would be easy to make a little wood block that you screw in place where the viser would be, and then use a magnetic mount (like a scosche magic mount or generic version) to adhere to the block. I use a magic mount in my '13, but the problem is really finding a place on the dash to stick it. There's just enough room by the cubby on the dash that has a flat surface I stick mine to. I don't have a GPS in the jeep, so like my phone dash level for ease of use.
I just installed some of the Wild Boar grab bars, I could probably run a mount off of it, which would most likely be sturdier and would still get my phone where I want it. If I do that, I could just cut out a little kydex oval and use it as a delete plate for the visor so the trim will be retained. Thanks for the idea.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I have the Carolina Metal Masters grab bars, and they came with RAM mounts. I don't use the RAMs for the very reason that they interfere with the sun visor.

If you think you could use those RAMs and somehow get them to work with your grab bar, I'd be happy to send them to you if you just pay small bit it would cost to ship them. I'm never going to use them. Not sure if they'd look like a hack job on your grab bar or not. I can snap a pic if you'd like. Here's what they look like on the intended grab bar -

The bolt that runs through the RAM is actually the bolt that holds the grab bar to the a-pillar.

Quick Reply: Sun visor questions