Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

2004 WJ Valve Cover Gasket

Old 05-29-2018, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 2004 WJ Valve Cover Gasket

I've got the 08 wrangler but my lady has a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L L6 OHV. She has had a pretty bad oil leak and besides the rear main seal, I believe the Valve Cover Gasket is also leaking. I ordered the Mopar replacement part # 53020758AC. Never done a valve cover before so Im just looking for any advice before I start this one. Any special steps I should take? I am praying that there are not any bolts that are stripped or broken off in the cover but you really never know with these things.

Anyway, any advice would be most appreciated for someone who has never completed a job like this before. I have the basic skills but this is venturing off into a new territory. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

I've not changed one on a grand cherokee, but have on several other vehicles in the past. Typically the hardest part is just getting other things out of the way so that you can actually remove the valve cover to start with. Considering the model of vehicle, should have some YouTube vids that hold your hand through the whole process. There's really nothing special about the task....to state the obvious, lightly lubricate the new gasket with some clean oil, look up torque specs, and when tightening the VC back down, work in a pattern rather than just clockwise or counterclockwise. Seeing the other things you do, this should be an easy task, and should only require basic hand tools.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Yea that's exactly what I figured. And getting to it is pretty easy also. Still fingers crossed that none of the bolts are broken off.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

None of the bolts were broken. For anyone doing this anytime soon I would recommend the FelPro kit that comes with the rubber grommets. I got it local after my Mopar came in the mail without them.

Pretty straight forward job and took me about 3 hours taking my time and parts washing everything.

Quick Reply: 2004 WJ Valve Cover Gasket