Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Engine Help Needed

Old 05-13-2018, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Help Needed

OK, so I'm not really much of a mopar/Jeep person as I have always had mainly gm products and have done pretty much all my own work on them. I will describe my issue as best I can and hopefully get some ideas where to try to diagnose the issue. I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport with the inline 4L engine auto trans. Before my son left for school he was fixing it up some and driving it a little as well and it ran ok, however shortly before he left it started not wanting to idle correcly and dying when you would press the gas. It will usually start, although hard at times, and idle but it will almost die out before it brings the rpm up, then back down and up etc. to keep from dying. If I press the gas, it will almost immediatley die out unless I kind of feather the throtlle to get the RPM's up. I have a MaxiDas scan tool but not really sure where to begin on this engine and what to look for. Any help is appreciated so I can get this running better again.

Quick Reply: Engine Help Needed