Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DIY 10' freedom top for 07'-09' latch Mod.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mskh20
Atticka- I can guarantee you that in my '09 JKU, the small part of the latch goes over the metal hoop and that is what holds the freedom top tight to the windshield frame.
this is true... so only on the 07's and 08's would need the mod.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Jedi

I'm so confused. In my '09, which I bought in Feb. of '09, the metal loop is left of the joint of the two freedom panels.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi

Thanks fadeout! I was starting to think I was crazy.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Atticka
I applaud all the hard work you did......

But that loop is not for the latch, thats the windshield tie down loop (for when you lower the window, you lash it down with the loop on our hood).

The short arm on the latch is supposed to cross over the left and right side of the freedom top....and not the windshield.

Like so...
Attachment 93631

Kind of funny....really.....
That's only for the older freedom tops. Chrysler decided to change that in the 09' and up models for good reason. The seal in the front is much better and the wind noise is a lot quieter in the newer tops. I did a side by side comparison of the older and newer panels to clarify. You can clearly see the difference in location. I will also edit the OP to include this to clarify any confusion.

Nice fab-up... but my question is why? did someone want to trade you a colored one for a non-colored one?

or did you buy one? the next question is if you bought one wouldnt it be cheaper and easier just to buy a used old one and get it painted, than a brand new one?
I was having a very difficult time finding a used hard top in my area and came across a great deal for a new OEM one. I pretty much paid what I would have paid for a used one and I'd much rather have new over used.

I also like the idea of the better attachment in the front. Having ridden in an older freedom top I can tell you the new ones are much quieter and have a great seal to the windshield in front. That's a huge plus for me since my soft top use to leak around the windshield.

I'm so confused. In my '09, which I bought in Feb. of '09, the metal loop is left of the joint of the two freedom panels.
My apologies, I thought the change was made in the 2010 and up model years. Apparently they made the change starting in 09'. It was definitely a change for the better...
Old 10-07-2010, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark in Va
I just confirmed the latch position on a '10 today. I've got an '07 with bad windnoise/whistling coming from this area and was wondering if a '10 Freedom Top would work on my '07. I can see now with this mod it will. Thanks!

I wonder if I could fit just a drivers side '10 Freedom Top panel with the new latch and mod on my '07? Would be nice to be able to order just one '10 panel, do the mod and be done with it! Is the new latch the only change on the '10 Freedom Tops?
As best as I can tell, yes. Can someone back me up on that?

As far as alleviating that wind noise, this will definitely do that. It is a lot quieter with the newer panels.

Last edited by Demon Hunter; 10-07-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 09 2dr hardtop

mine was built 09 feb.and has the same fix as a 10. no leaks even through drive through car washes/
Old 10-10-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome job Demon Hunter. cheers! So far mine is super quiet and i have no rain & water issues. Easy mod huh?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have been planning on doing this mod since i picked up my hardtop. We had some weather stripping with an adhesive back on it laying in the garage to i used some it it to cut back on the wind noise and to aid in stopping leaks and it has worked for the time being, but before winter hits i'd like to move that loop over so the top is completely sealed.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by enzo319
Awesome job Demon Hunter. cheers! So far mine is super quiet and i have no rain & water issues. Easy mod huh?
Yes it was!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

Might have to check it out

Quick Reply: DIY 10' freedom top for 07'-09' latch Mod.