Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Jeep jk wrangler 730n/rhr radio installation write-up

Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 AM
SKT
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you keeping an eye on Craigslist too?

Old 09-27-2017, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, I'm hunting
Old 09-27-2017, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Hack Navteq GPS? @WxNerd

I am curious if you've been able to hack into the GPS at all and add your nav tracks for it? I'd like to score a Garmin unit because I know you can make your own .GPX files and upload them. I'm not sure if the 430N will even allow me to do this. If I can find an economical aftermarket solution with Garmin, and SD card slot I might go with that.

However, I like the drop in of these units and prefer it to stay stock looking. So if you can hack the Navteq that'd be a boon, and I will definitely shop around for a 730N. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

HELP!! Hopefully some one can assist me with my radio problem. I have the base style radio but it has UCONNECT and Sirius on the unit. However the Sirus subscription has been canceled. A friend with the same year Jeep as mine gave me his NTG4 RHR(730n). I installed it and inputted the security code and boom she fired up. However the uConnect wasn't syncing nor was it discover-able. I also went into the nav and hit "my location" however it wasn't going to where I was. It looks like it was stuck on the location where the stereo was removed. Just trying to figure out how to get this thing to work.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

TheWhiteBeard - First off, I believe your UConnect issue is coming from the fact that all model radios besides the 730N use an external UConnect module to run/manage all UConnect functions. The 730N is unique in that the UConnect module is built into the radio. The is no UConnect for your radio to learn, because it is already included hardwired in. To allow the UConnect to function properly, you need to get just a mic kit, and attach to the appropriate port on the back of the radio and all UConnect function should function properly. This also means that you should uninstall whatever exist UConnect module came with your Jeep, as it will no longer function right and could be providing you an issue.

As for the location, I hate to state the obvious, but please verify that you plugged in the right connections to the right ports (pre-2011 had a separate satellite antenna and GPS antenna and 2011+ had a single antenna). Also, make sure you have the proper antenna installed. If 2011+, you came ready from the factory for navigation because the antenna is dual function. Also, make sure you were not in a garage or something like this as it could interfere with the antenna signal. After that, i am not quite sure, but could potentially have something to do with a not properly setup UConnect system, or confused signals if the old UConnect module is plugged into the radio with already existing UConnect?

i hope some of this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions and good luck! Will let you know if I find anything else!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

Yep, mine is a 2014. Got it so I need a new mic. I plugged them into the corresponding colored ports.The gps baffles me since I was outside in a urban area shouldn't be an issue. Didn't know if it was possibly a part of the Sirius service.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheWhiteBread
Yep, mine is a 2014. Got it so I need a new mic. I plugged them into the corresponding colored ports.The gps baffles me since I was outside in a urban area shouldn't be an issue. Didn't know if it was possibly a part of the Sirius service.
Part of the Sirius service? No. Though if you get traffic on the nav unit, you do get these reports through Sirius traffic. The maps themselves are from Navteq. I would make sure you get the microphone, there are a few examples in earlier posts in this thread of where to get the proper microphone kit from, and see what happens after the proper connection is made. And verify that nothing is running through the old UConnect module. Start and go from there and see what may get resolved just from these minor tweaks and checks.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default Great write up

I sent you a PM!
Old 10-29-2018, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Responded.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

So I have the res radio. No phone button no blue tooth but my window sticker says uconnect. Maybe the radio was swapped out??

I just want bkue tooth at this at this point lol was looking at the 730n that has Bluetooth but is it worth 415$?

Quick Reply: Jeep jk wrangler 730n/rhr radio installation write-up