Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Monstalined Exterior of the JK

Old 08-09-2014, 04:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I read the title I was scared that you might've just ruined a good jeep. I stand corrected! That's an awesome job! I guy in my neighborhood tried that on an explorer and it looks like crap! Great color! Post picks after wheeling. I'm curious to see how big of a pain it is to clean.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 08-09-2014, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks amazing!
Old 08-12-2014, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks! It cleans up nice. Its not a rubbery/dull bedliner finish. It has a little gloss to it which looks nice and allows for easy cleanup.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BWN?
Thanks! It cleans up nice. Its not a rubbery/dull bedliner finish. It has a little gloss to it which looks nice and allows for easy cleanup.

How many hours do you have into it? I don't have finish patience to tape everything off lol
Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cormac827
How many hours do you have into it? I don't have finish patience to tape everything off lol
Application took about 8 hours total including 3-4 hours of dry time in between coats.

Prep was the most time consuming. I cant say how many hours. I had the Jeep down for a week and worked on prep here and there for a couple hours a day. Another 8-10 hours total maybe?
Old 08-16-2014, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

How did you get that texture? Most Monstaliner jobs I've seen are much more... bumpy I guess is the term. Yours is smooth like Raptor liner. I like!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by robertgreen79
How did you get that texture? Most Monstaliner jobs I've seen are much more... bumpy I guess is the term. Yours is smooth like Raptor liner. I like!
You can control the texture of the application. To get a more bumpy texture, you go back over the second coat with the roller while it is still tacky. The roller creates a higher texture. I chose to not go that route so it would be a little smoother.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

What was your prep process and that whole 2 gallon kit covered it twice?

Also what did you use to get into the cracks and crevices and creases.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
What was your prep process and that whole 2 gallon kit covered it twice?

Also what did you use to get into the cracks and crevices and creases.
Prep consisted of power washing with soap and water. Then I wiped the Jeep down with MEK. Then scuffed the entire surface with 200 grit sandpaper, blew off the surface with a compressor and then wiped down with MEK again. Obviously took as many parts off the Jeep as I could. I would have liked to have taken the door handles off, but after a week of prep to that point, I decided just to tape them off.

The kit includes a paint brush and a sponge with the same texture as the roller to get into the tight spaces. I went out and purchased my own brush which is what I would recommend. The brush included with the kit kind of sucks. I used most of the two gallons, but not all.

The biggest PITA was the underside of the hood.

I also covered the inside portions of the door with black bedliner.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BWN?
You can control the texture of the application. To get a more bumpy texture, you go back over the second coat with the roller while it is still tacky. The roller creates a higher texture. I chose to not go that route so it would be a little smoother.
Thats awesome. I'd prefer it like yours, without the texture. Yours came out looking more like Raptor/Linex thats sprayed on

Quick Reply: Monstalined Exterior of the JK