Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Power Window Install using Factory Switches and Bezels

Old 06-15-2017, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket wiring harness to factory switch

Originally Posted by feroxjb
You're going to have to use the diagram to identify which pins on the back of the switch go where. There are two wires from each window that have to plug into the back of the oem switch. There are also a few others.. Power.. Ground.. Remote.. etc..
Has anyone successfully done this mapping from the A1 wiring harness to the factory switch for the front dash that they could share? Surprisingly, I was able to wire everything using the aftermarket kit and switch, but I'd really like to use the factory switch and I'm baffled at how to do it! Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 10-22-2017, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default Re:

I'm building my junkyard shopping list to do this swap and have a few questions... you bought the OEM door harnesses, right? and then you hacked the door quick disconnect and made your own? was it possible to build the OEM harnesses or was it stupid hard to find the chassis side to the plug???

also, where'd you put the power lock buttons?...
Old 06-21-2018, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for this! Some theory checking

Thanks for all of this, do you mind checking my thoughts on my Jeep?

Basically my current situation is, I bought a 2016 Wrangler with the half soft doors. We ended up trading doors with a guy that had factory power everything so currently we have power locks and windows that do not work. I ended up changing the wiring harness in the doors so they would fit with my factory 2016 body harness. But because they did not have power windows before I obviously do not have switches.

My research and conversations lead me to believe basically I need to buy the factory switches and pull power from somewhere. Once I do that I should be able to finish wiring the switches to the female body harness. By following the wiring diagram I should be able to find the vacant window ports on the harness connector.

Does that make sense? From your experience do you think this will work?
Old 07-09-2018, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Talking Everything Factory.

Okay so I've been successful by wiring everything from the factory switch with the proper harness coming out of the back of the switches! You can see from my photo my JK looks very different from when I bought it (top) to now (bottom). The main difference is we found someone who wanted the half soft doors and we traded them for their full steel automatic doors. The issue I ran into is the doors were off of a 2014 JK and mine is a 2016, in 2015 they switched the harness styles so the quick detach harnesses didn't match. So this was the first issue I addressed. I bought the factory harnesses from MOPAR that fit automatic windows/locks for a 2016 and switched out the harnesses.

After Jeep told me what I wanted to do was impossible I took it to a local Jeep shop and they said its possible for $500-$600, and this would only give me the forward window controls. So a buddy and I decided to have a go with the help of the original thread we were able to accomplish it. I went cheap and bought 100 feet of wire and color coded it using electrical tape. The main difference is I tapped into the back of the factory harness like I said. for that you will need the "14-12 Ga. Sealed Male Metri-Pack." This will allow the quick disconnects to talk to each other.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Great job!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default Additional help needed on adding factory switch to Electric Lite/A1 kit

First, thank you for all your write-up a few years back regarding adding power windows to your JKU. I also added the A1 Electric/Electric Lite kit to my 2011 JKU. I also decided that I wanted to add the factory switch. I temporarily have been using the front dash switches that came with the kit. I didn't buy a factory harness, so wanting to direct-wire the factory switch to the wiring currently hooked up to the switches that came with the Electric Lite kit.

I have created the attached matrix first showing the wiring from your attachment to your post showing each pin out for the factory switch. Then tried to map these leads to the wiring that came with the Electric Lite kit (that are currently hooked up to the Electric Lite kit switches).

What I'm wondering is if I just hook up these using the attached matrix will it work? It appears the factory switch has a built in relay. I don't know if I hook up power from the Electric Lite kit relay to the factory switch contact number 12 if that will properly power the switch?

Your help is appreciated.

p.s., I also added the A1 Electric remote door locks that are working fine.

Thank you, David

Attached Files
Old 01-17-2019, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default Disregard question. I solved it myself. Thank you

Originally Posted by MEVAJeeper
Has anyone successfully done this mapping from the A1 wiring harness to the factory switch for the front dash that they could share? Surprisingly, I was able to wire everything using the aftermarket kit and switch, but I'd really like to use the factory switch and I'm baffled at how to do it! Any advice would be appreciated!
Hi. Were you able to successfully add the factory switch? I'm getting ready to try the same thing. Thank you, David

Last edited by DRCTX; 01-21-2019 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Found the answer myself
Old 01-21-2019, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Update. I was able to add the factory switch to the A1 Electric/Electric Lite power window kit using the wiring matrix I attached to my question last week. It now looks and works just like the factory power window option. I appreciate the original posting by bcash616 for the factory switch pin out diagram.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

That's some pretty sweet work!
Old 10-28-2019, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Long time lurker/ first time posting. I really appreciate the write up on the power window switch. I purchased a 2014 sport that already had the A1 electric kit installed. I started having intermittent issues with the switch operation. The more i looked at it the more it pissed me off as a professional mechanic. The rear window switches never worked. I tried repairing the wiring that was installed with splice connectors and wood glue. I finally just ordered a factory switch and bezel. Went shopping at the local pull apart to get the plug for the switch. I pulled all the wires and put them in split loom and tied it all up securely. Now, I'm happy with it and the rear window switches work. Isn't it amazing that we'd spend 10 hours redoing something just so that it looks stock?!!

Quick Reply: Power Window Install using Factory Switches and Bezels