Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Removing and Installing PCV Valve

Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that zip tie trick would have been handy when i did mine
Old 07-24-2010, 02:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

ronjenx,
Great and complete instructions!
Thank you...
Old 12-20-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Back from the dead...

Thanks ronjenx

I will be doing mine over the holidays
Old 12-23-2010, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dukedar
Back from the dead...

Thanks ronjenx

I will be doing mine over the holidays
Tried this yesterday, and no way would the tie wrap hold. of course it has been in there for three plus years...

Minor variance: tried to clip on the tie wrap with small long nose vice-grips and the tie-wrap broke... Ended up just gripping the PCV with medium sized vice-grips and using a small pry bar in between to jaws of the vice-grips. Pried in the same place. After re-positioning a few times, and some choice words, it finally came out, with a pop through the air

Old one was OK, but at least now I know FYI I am at 99600kms...
Old 12-23-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by dukedar
Tried this yesterday, and no way would the tie wrap hold. of course it has been in there for three plus years...

Minor variance: tried to clip on the tie wrap with small long nose vice-grips and the tie-wrap broke... Ended up just gripping the PCV with medium sized vice-grips and using a small pry bar in between to jaws of the vice-grips. Pried in the same place. After re-positioning a few times, and some choice words, it finally came out, with a pop through the air

Old one was OK, but at least now I know FYI I am at 99600kms...
Maybe a more frequent routine inspection will make removal easier.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Maybe a more frequent routine inspection will make removal easier.
Definitely! That was part of the reason why I was in there in the first place! To see what shape my JK was in after having it only 6mths, and what if anything was done to it prior. Been chasing phantom codes and trying to get better mileage
Old 01-29-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice write-up! Just did mine on the "new" beast at 72K miles. Went through 3 zip ties when I realized that wasn't going to work. Moved to the brute force and plier method above and finally got it after hovering over the engine and a few battle cries. Not sure how much tapping needed to set the new one in but I guess it can't really go anywhere if I did't go far enough(?). Hopefully this and my seafoam will help my suspicions of it being an infamous oil burner.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by m0brando
Nice write-up! Just did mine on the "new" beast at 72K miles. Went through 3 zip ties when I realized that wasn't going to work. Moved to the brute force and plier method above and finally got it after hovering over the engine and a few battle cries. Not sure how much tapping needed to set the new one in but I guess it can't really go anywhere if I did't go far enough(?). Hopefully this and my seafoam will help my suspicions of it being an infamous oil burner.
The zip ties were breaking? Too small, maybe?
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The zip ties were breaking? Too small, maybe?
That's what I thought but the last 2 I tried were heavy duty and one broke and I couldn't ever get the other one to stay on (though very ingenious!). After the force required to pop it out of there I see why the zip tie trick didn't work. As I was mutilating the end of the valve with pliers I was concerned it was going to come out but it finally did with some pb blaster and a bit of twisting.

Quick Reply: Removing and Installing PCV Valve