Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

SPAL Fan install

Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkob1060
according to the Spal engineer that wouldnt work on our jeeps, I just dont remember why, it does seem like it should but I am going to get the Flashpaq you can adjust what temps the fan comes on
i like the idea let us know how it turns out
Old 06-03-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

Hey Spy how is your fan doing? have you run it with the a/c on on the highway? If i do 70-75 on highway I will start to overheat. I did same install as you.
I have not had any problems with mine. I drive 25 miles one way down the interstate everyday to work and my temp stays around the middle of the gauge. I don't have a digital so I don't know if the average temp went up a few degrees, but I never over heat. It's been around 90+ degrees here lately and still no problems. I have the factory radiator and I hooked my fan up to the factory wires. Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been to Uwharrie 3 times with my new SPAL fan and have not had any problems after covering it with mud, rock crawling for several hours, and long highway trips. It ran continuously for about 3 hours yesterday when I was at URE without a hitch.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

Just an update to how the SPAL fan is holding up. We have had a heat wave down here in Northwest Florida with the temps hovering around 100F. It really feels about 110F. Anyways, the fan still keeps my Jeep at the same temperature as the factory fan, even at idle. So I would have to say this was one of my best investments I have made yet. It SUCKED getting stuck on a trail because one small puddle ruined my fan.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have the fan wired up so that it can be shut off when going through water or is this fan designed to be able to run through water (i.e. waterproof).

Not sure if you already stated this
Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spytec128
Installed the 30102082 SPAL fan on the weekend. Hopefully this write-up will help those wanting to try it out. Hopefully, we can come up with the perfect install.

Step 7. Place new waterproof SPAL fan into the old hole.

Originally Posted by bostonMA
Do you have the fan wired up so that it can be shut off when going through water or is this fan designed to be able to run through water (i.e. waterproof).

Not sure if you already stated this
see it now? I guess you were mesmerized by the pics lol
Old 06-30-2009, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

see it now? I guess you were mesmerized by the pics lol
Cute response. I guess you answered my question, sort of. So I will pose another,

What do you see as the benefits of installing a waterproof fan (given that the stock fan still works like new) as opposed to wiring in a switch so the stock fan can be turned off briefly when necessary?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonMA
Cute response. I guess you answered my question, sort of. So I will pose another,

What do you see as the benefits of installing a waterproof fan (given that the stock fan still works like new) as opposed to wiring in a switch so the stock fan can be turned off briefly when necessary?
what help will the switch be when you turn it back on and the motor is still WET inside? A switch is not going to keep the motor dry.

there ya go pics of your fan motor, got enough holes for you? I'm not saying you should go out and replace it now, but if you kill it once, you really want to bother replacing it with the same POS that will go again? Hopefully you'll be able to make it to the dealer if it does go and not have to get towed, then worry about getting it clean from the mud so that the dealer doesnt give you crap about warranty coving it.

here some more pics of the motor apart, its nice and rusty in there

more fan talk here
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/fan-motors-who-has-killed-theirs-61335/
Old 07-02-2009, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

I think tkob1060 summed it up just right. I did put a switch in line with my waterproof fan as a double precaution. If you play in any amount of water long enough, you will ruin your factory fan. Instead of paying $100 on a new factory fan with holes in it, why not spend that $100 on a SPAL fan without holes. Trust me. My fan went out about 2pm and I didn't get out of the muck I was in untill 2am because I had to keep waiting for the engine to cool down to go another 100ft. We were so deep in a power line run that the only tracks we saw were tracks from the bulldozer the power company used to do maintenance on the lines.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey TK, you have the Aeroforce, are you seing any lower temperatures with the SPAL? We're still trying to figure out the CFM thing in our war with high temperatures.

Quick Reply: SPAL Fan install