Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

family trails

Old 03-27-2017, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default family trails

I am stationed in San Antonio for the next few months attending a course. I am looking for decent family trails as I cannot risk breaking my DD while at school, but I still need to get the kids out when the visit.

reccomendations?
Old 03-31-2017, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Look at Hidden Falls OHV located in Marble Falls, TX. They have mild to wild trails. We went there last May and had a blast.

http://www.hiddenfallsadventurepark.com

R/
Will
Old 03-31-2017, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

There used to be Canyons Off Road Park there by Fredericksburg as well, but all their links appear to be dead now....and the FB page is gone. They must have closed down.

Cline Ranch looks like private land via reservation. Might be worth looking in to.
https://www.facebook.com/clineranch/

Hidden Falls is worth a couple hour drive and has a variety of difficulty. That area is pretty in general. Depending on age of your kids, Longhorn Caverns just a bit northwest of Marble Falls is a decent visit.

Unfortunately there's not a ton of wheelin down in that area that I'm aware of. There are some pretty drives in general....like back in the Vanderpool/Leaky area. If you're in to the outdoors in general, Lost Maples State Park is a worthwhile visit for a few hikes and beautiful trees. Garner State Park is a decent visit as well, but is the most visited SP in Texas, so not quite as peaceful.

The Austin area has some nice state parks too. McKinney Falls SP and Pedernales Falls SP are both great weekend destinations.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Looks like you're from Nebraska. If you find the time, I can't emphasize enough how worthwhile it would be to shoot 5.5hrs to the west to Big Bend National Park. We have a beautiful state that is really diverse.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys, big bend looks like a hit for my next long weekend
Old 04-04-2017, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by scholes_76
thanks guys, big bend looks like a hit for my next long weekend
Man, Big Bend is a great place. The peak season is mid-October to mid-March due to heat. April is probably ok, but keep en eye on temps in the forecast. You do have to work a little bit to see the cool parts of the park.....several short 1m hikes back to something, and some 5m round trip type hikes to see some really spectacular area. There is a US border crossing in the park, so if you take your passport you can cross the river to the lil town of Boquillas for lunch or what not. If you decide to go and want a few pointers, I'm happy to outline the worthwhile things you can see on a short trip.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Curious, did you ever make it out to Big Bend, and if so, what did you think? If not, did you find someplace else to go instead?

Quick Reply: family trails