Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Relocating to Midland

Old 11-20-2017, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocating to Midland

Hello JK Forum friends

I am relocating from Central Cali to the Midland area in Jan.

What are the closest parks for wheeling to Midland.

I know it will be a big change from Cali with our National Forests and trails.

I have a well setup TJ and usually trailer it to the trails.

Thanks

Todd
Old 12-20-2017, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Todd. I'm in San Angelo which is only a couple hours away from Midland. Check out Twin Buttes Reservoir. It's a couple miles outside San Angelo and I've meet more than one Jeeper that has made the drive from Midland to wheel there. Lots of rock crawling. Not sure what else is that way.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Since new to the area......this is prime season to shoot down and visit the Big Bend area. October through mid-March is about the time you want to visit, avoiding holidays and spring break if possible. I typically go around President's Day in February. Beautiful Texas area that not everybody gets to experience. Happy to offer advice/tips for a visit should you care.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Appreciate it.

We will go check them both out after we are a little more settled and get our Jeep trailer reconfigured for towing the Jeep.

Thanks

Todd
Old 04-10-2018, 08:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Hey Todd, did you ever get settled out there in Midland? Get used to that new environment yet? Not quite as exciting as Cali. Was just in the TX staging area which is dang radio silence lately. What kind of wheelin are you in to? One of these days I gotta make it down south to Wolf Caves, which is about 3hr 15min from Midland. That park is a bit on the aggressive side and not much shade around, but might be a decent option if it's up your alley. Have you had a chance to get down to the Apline/Marfa/Fort Davis area yet?
Old 04-10-2018, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

We are getting settled and just waiting for our house to get finished.
It is scheduled to be done later this month, and close in May.
No serious wheeling yet.
I have heard of Wolf Caves and want to go.
I was just checking out the TMRC web site today, and they have a new place they are working on over near Solano or something like that.
It is a little closer than Wolf Caves or those places around Mason Tx.
Not been to the Alpine/Marfa area yet.
I think we will be headed to Moab around Memorial Day for the Modern Jeeper Adventure Tour trip.
Thanks

Todd
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Navy-Jeepster
I was just checking out the TMRC web site today, and they have a new place they are working on over near Solano or something like that.
What website are you looking at? Unfortunately, out where you are, it's not very scenic (putting it lightly), and there's not much close to you for wheelin'. Hidden Falls and Bridgeport are both 4.5hrs from you, and BMRA all the way in east TX would be WAAAYYY out of range....much less Hot Springs, AR. Oklamhoma doesn't offer us much, and even heading west in to NM you really have to get to Las Cruces to find much it seems. Maybe that new place will be a good option. Curious what you're looking at as I don't see anything.

Alpine/Marfa a nice little quaint "artsy" towns southwest of you to check out some weekend. Fort Davis Mountains are a nice area too with a state park there. It's weird how the state goes from being flat and ugly right there in Midland/Odessa to pretty just down southwest of there....although those are ~3hrs away. Also, the McDonald Observatory down there by Fort Davis is really a cool nighttime visit if you stay in the area (they do nighttime observation activities). You can't beat the night skies down in that part of Texas.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

It is very flat here.
They say you can let your dog out, and he won't run away, cause you can see him for 20 miles and he can find his way home.

All of the parks are a few hours away though.

We have plans to explore more once the house is done early next month.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2018, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Navy-Jeepster
It is very flat here.
Oh y......Midland/Odessa is definitely not the kinda place you just choose to move to out of your own free desire. Don't let that give you any impression about what this state is like, cuz that is probably about as bad as it gets tbh. It's really a pretty cool and beautiful state several very distinct geographic regions. It's like a whole country in one state.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just moved to New Braunfels in January from San Diego, so hit me up if you guys plan any runs.
I've joined a couple local Jeep groups on facebook but all they do is eat and do parades... no wheelin and the weather has been great.
The following users liked this post:
Navy-Jeepster (04-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Relocating to Midland