Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Best places to off-road in North Carolina

Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best places to off-road in North Carolina

Hello everyone, looks like I will be ordering a 2014 WRU in the next couple weeks and am wondering where the best places to go off roading are in North Carolina. I'm fairly new to the sport/way of life, but my father is a seasoned veteran so any place that is fun no matter the difficulty would be nice to know. I'm looking for both trails and I guess natural open areas (beaches/woods/meadows) that we can do in a group and some that we can handle on our own (won't have a wench so the alone areas are just meant to be somewhere a stock rubi can easily handle, though I know you aren't supposed to wheel alone).

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!

Uwharrie National Forest is probably the best place to go. There is a good mix of easy to difficult trails there.

My favorite beach to drive would be the outer banks around Corolla. There is also some beach driving a liitle closer at Freeman Park in Carolina Beach.

The Linville area has Brown Mountain and also Old NC Hwy 105 is a nice easy drive through some beautiful mountain areas.

Some links for you...

National Forests in North Carolina - Uwharrie National Forest

National Forests in North Carolina - Brown Mountain OHV Trail System

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Old+N+...bC0e-w&split=0

Last edited by OH9JK; 05-29-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

Welcome! You can also try Hurricane Creek. It's a little bit of a drive but worth it for a nice time. Video is dirt bikes but it attracts lots of off road vehicles too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TerHP5juts Keep checking the forum for rides, etc.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Welcome and congrats on the new rig!

Uwharrie National Forest is probably the best place to go. There is a good mix of easy to difficult trails there.

My favorite beach to drive would be the outer banks around Corolla. There is also some beach driving a liitle closer at Freeman Park in Carolina Beach.

The Linville area has Brown Mountain and also Old NC Hwy 105 is a nice easy drive through some beautiful mountain areas.

Some links for you...

National Forests in North Carolina - Uwharrie National Forest

National Forests in North Carolina - Brown Mountain OHV Trail System

Old N C Highway 105, Pisgah National Forest, North Carolina - Google Maps
Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for! I think I have been down the Old NC Highway 105 beforeat least for part of it, then it switched from paved to off road, it was pretty sweet(possibly, could be getting the place wrong though).

bigmike17 that place looks great, is it public? Where does it lead to? Can't wait to go there. Those kind of places are what I am looking for, at least at first. My JKUR is going to be my DD so don't want to get it too messed up just yet on some of those difficult trails at Uwharrie, though I am definitely going to Uwharrie as soon as I can cause it looks awesome (will stick to the wimpy trails for now).
Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

May be moving to NC myself here soon and was wondering about some nice places to go wheeling. Thanks for the original post, Raiders1901 and thanks also to OH9JK and bigmike17 for the responses!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Raiders1901
Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for! I think I have been down the Old NC Highway 105 beforeat least for part of it, then it switched from paved to off road, it was pretty sweet(possibly, could be getting the place wrong though).

bigmike17 that place looks great, is it public? Where does it lead to? Can't wait to go there. Those kind of places are what I am looking for, at least at first. My JKUR is going to be my DD so don't want to get it too messed up just yet on some of those difficult trails at Uwharrie, though I am definitely going to Uwharrie as soon as I can cause it looks awesome (will stick to the wimpy trails for now).
Hurricane Creek is public access...I don't remember the name of the town we came out to...but once we were back on the main road the GPS worked and it was easy to find I40 (maybe 20 mins drive or so off the trail).

PM me sometime and we can meet up at Uwharrie or maybe get a group over to Hurricane Creek.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any nice trails near Beech Mountain? I driving the family up there for a week at the end of the month.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigmike17
Hurricane Creek is public access...I don't remember the name of the town we came out to...but once we were back on the main road the GPS worked and it was easy to find I40 (maybe 20 mins drive or so off the trail).

PM me sometime and we can meet up at Uwharrie or maybe get a group over to Hurricane Creek.
I will definitely hit you up, probably wont get my JKUR for another couple months. Think I can order on June 11th, then 6-8 weeks for production.

Has anyone ever been to Croatan National Forest near the beach (Emerald Isle)? Doesn't look too big and probably not too difficult, but might be nice to hit it up if on the way to the beach.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wheeling in NC

Thanks for the links in this thread ... any more information?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

any other info? i m looking for same

Quick Reply: Best places to off-road in North Carolina