Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Black Bear Pass, CO.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally made it to Montrose (moved from Seattle) last week. 35 miles north of Ouray and loving it. I can't wait for the passes to open up.

My wife is a little grumpy with me, but my first priorities when we got here was joining the local Jeep club, hitting the 3 off-road shops in town to talk about getting a lift installed, and completing Colorado Hunters Ed.

Let me know when you finalize the dates you are coming out.

Doug
Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to America, Doug!!! ;0)
Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

HaHa.

It's good to be back.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will be in the area during the months of July and August, let me when you get there. I have been trail riding there for the last 4 summers, lots to do and see. Montrose is a great town.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey, I live in the area (Parachute), be glad to wheel with you on Black Bear Pass, or show you some other great trails around. Maybe we can have a good JK forum crawl.
I use to live in Chatham
Old 05-11-2013, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

If your plans change we will be there September 12th through the 22nd and will be doing Black Bear once or twice.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am coming out the second week of July and was wanting to run Blackbear, the pictures from this trail I keep seeing are amazing. I have a '13 JKU w/ OME 2.5" lift on 33's. This is my second JKU and my fifth Jeep overall, so I am comfortable with the vehicle. I have played alot with my Jeep but last year I finally started tying trail runs to my vacations. I live in Lincoln Nebraska, so playing in the mud is about all I have around here, with the occasional run to Tuttle Creek in KS. The longest trail I have run is Crown King In AZ. I keep finding differing reviews online about Blackbear, some say it's super hard, others say it's all in your head, what's the legit breakdown on this trail?
Old 05-12-2013, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scholes_76
I am coming out the second week of July and was wanting to run Blackbear, the pictures from this trail I keep seeing are amazing. I have a '13 JKU w/ OME 2.5" lift on 33's. This is my second JKU and my fifth Jeep overall, so I am comfortable with the vehicle. I have played alot with my Jeep but last year I finally started tying trail runs to my vacations. I live in Lincoln Nebraska, so playing in the mud is about all I have around here, with the occasional run to Tuttle Creek in KS. The longest trail I have run is Crown King In AZ. I keep finding differing reviews online about Blackbear, some say it's super hard, others say it's all in your head, what's the legit breakdown on this trail?
Take your time and go slow. You will be fine. I found airing down the tires last year helped smooth the ride and get a better grip.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scholes_76
I have a non-lifted JKU with 33s and no troubles. If you want someone to wheel it with you, as long as it's Fri-Sun, give a shout.
Understand you about wheeling in NE, use to live in the Sidney area for several years.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default Always someone on the trail...

We ran Black Bear last summer and there were lots of people around, even mid-week. Not so many that it was crowded, but enough to have help if you wanted it. We started in Telluride, did Ophir pass and then took Black Bear back. It was beautiful!

Quick Reply: Black Bear Pass, CO.